Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really don't understand the logic of making concealed carry legal (however restricted) yet outright barring open carry. Open carry seems more a deterrent to me than legal carry - sure, if I am a potential burglar and I see someone with a pistol strapped to their waste in the place I am about to stick-up, I might just pull-out my weapon and shoot him first, but if I see him (and especially if I see two or three of them) I'm going to be pretty damned deterred.

What's your take on it? I'm all for it, myself.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The whole concept of concealed carry is to establish uncertainty in the perpetrators mind about who is and who is not armed.
Keep the perps guessing and wondering.

Open carry pretty much takes the guessing out of the equation and allows the perpetrators to avoid the armed citizens and home in on the rest.

$00000000000.02

Lycus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The whole concept of concealed carry is to establish uncertainty in the perpetrators mind about who is and who is not armed.
Keep the perps guessing and wondering.

Open carry pretty much takes the guessing out of the equation and allows the perpetrators to avoid the armed citizens and home in on the rest.

$00000000000.02

I disagree with your logic.

Given the choice, some may choose to carry openly - others my choose to carry concealed. Merely because I may choose to carry openly that does not mean the man nearby me lacks a firearm in his pocket. Also, considering the fact that the vast majority of the public is unarmed as it is (criminals know this), the likelihood a criminal's target will be unarmed is already absurdly high. Really, you believe someone is going to avoid attempting a pounce on their target merely because said target doesn't visibly have a weapon? It already happens all the time.

Sure, if we were ideal and 60%+ had concealed weapons, that'd be a bit of a deterrent, but that's not how it is. Hell, if 60% of people were to wear their weapons openly, do you really believe coercive criminals would have the nerves they currently possess?

Note also the poll question is not whether or not open carry should be the only option, but is it a viable one that should be permissible.

mausermike

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think its a HUGE misconception to think everyone would open carry if permitted. I suppose a few who dunt actually DO anythin while carryin would not be bothered by a few pounds lashed to em all day.

I doubt many would carry, it really doesnt change what the bad guy will do, I doubt there will be more than two open carry people anywhere but a donut shop...

Since ya are thinkin there will be three or four open armed folks per business what % of the population would actually carry???

Oh n is there some reason ya dunt qualify to conceal carry.

Like AZ mentioned the concept is like the Q-Ships of WWI n II. Course the criminals counter is the same as the U-Boats for suspected Q-Ships.

Mostly I reckon carry makes a few feel better by the illusion of more control of their fate...

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't understand the logic of making concealed carry legal (however restricted) yet outright barring open carry. Open carry seems more a deterrent to me than legal carry - sure, if I am a potential burglar and I see someone with a pistol strapped to their waste in the place I am about to stick-up, I might just pull-out my weapon and shoot him first, but if I see him (and especially if I see two or three of them) I'm going to be pretty damned deterred.

What's your take on it? I'm all for it, myself.

I think both open and concealed carry should be legal and without permit.

That said, I wouldn't carry openly because I feel you lose any tactical advantage. I don't believe it would be a great deterrent because at some point criminals would become used to seeing it and simply plan a different attack.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I support open carry, it should be allowed.

I allways hear the same argument, if the bad guy sees your handgun they will shoot you first.
As allways I ask the same question in return, please show me documented proof from states that allow open carry where people have been killed by bad guys who saw them open carry?

Same argument that gets no where.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how could you identify someone that was a legitimate open carry holder versus someone that wasn't?

How do you know that someone who is carrying conceled is legit?

Answere is you dont. I think it would surprise alot of people if they knew how many people carry without a CWL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom