Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still working through how I feel personally about OC. I think open and concealed should be legal without a permit, but I don't think I'd open carry on a day-to-day basis. IMO, step 1 should be getting OC legal in OK. Step 2 should be making concealed and open without a permit legal in OK. Step 3 should be working on other states to do same-- since reciprocity would be a problem if we didn't require a permit. It MIGHT take a month or two though..

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
open carry and concealed carry without a permit would be awesome, think about it, you could use any holster you choose, and wear it anywhere you want without having to worry about someone seeing a glimpse of it, or having to wear an extra long shirt to keep in completely covered when you're reaching above your head or something. oh the possibilities!!!

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with concealed carry for civilians is that the fact that they are armed enters the equation very late in the game and at the worst possible moment. Which is why the vast majority of armed presentations do not result in shots fired. Personally, I would very much like any potential bad guys to know that I am armed without any direct personal interaction, and without me having to touch my weapon. If I'm carrying openly, and something bad happens, then I know that all the guns have been counted by all the parties up front (if I'm openly carrying and you jack with me, I assume you are armed or are a moron), and I don't have to worry about shooting some 17 yro banger wannabee waving an empty gun needing to win mojo points by jacking up granddad at the far gas pump on Saturday night who pees his pant when granddad shucks his Glock.

The one thing that scares the hell out of me about concealed carry is that the fact that I am armed might not be obvious to all the players until I've started a second or two draw and the slack almost completely out of the trigger and a bullet almost ready to pop out the end of my gun. That is NOT when I want some dude to decide that he made a mistake in the victim selection process. I want him to work through those decisions waaayyyy back in the parking lot without me having to touch my gun or talk to the cops or pay a lawyer.

I am happy to conceal now because it saves the hassle of dealing with ninnies afraid of guns and I now live and move in a reasonably safe environment and reasonably expect to be able to never have to draw. It's there on the outside chance that I need it. But, if/when the situation changes and my needing a gun becomes something I could reasonably expect, then I would like the biggest, most visible hunk of death possible openly riding on my hip.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with concealed carry for civilians is that the fact that they are armed enters the equation very late in the game and at the worst possible moment. Which is why the vast majority of armed presentations do not result in shots fired. Personally, I would very much like any potential bad guys to know that I am armed without any direct personal interaction, and without me having to touch my weapon. If I'm carrying openly, and something bad happens, then I know that all the guns have been counted by all the parties up front (if I'm openly carrying and you jack with me, I assume you are armed or are a moron), and I don't have to worry about shooting some 17 yro banger wannabee waving an empty gun needing to win mojo points by jacking up granddad at the far gas pump on Saturday night who pees his pant when granddad shucks his Glock.

The one thing that scares the hell out of me about concealed carry is that the fact that I am armed might not be obvious to all the players until I've started a second or two draw and the slack almost completely out of the trigger and a bullet almost ready to pop out the end of my gun. That is NOT when I want some dude to decide that he made a mistake in the victim selection process. I want him to work through those decisions waaayyyy back in the parking lot without me having to touch my gun or talk to the cops or pay a lawyer.

I am happy to conceal now because it saves the hassle of dealing with ninnies afraid of guns and I now live and move in a reasonably safe environment and reasonably expect to be able to never have to draw. It's there on the outside chance that I need it. But, if/when the situation changes and my needing a gun becomes something I could reasonably expect, then I would like the biggest, most visible hunk of death possible openly riding on my hip.

great first post.:thumbup3: welcome to the site.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay let me play devils advocate here. Lets say they pass a law where you are allowed to open carry or conceal..your choice.Lets say the law states that as an officer I am allowed to ask you for your license at any time for any reason. And if you dont have one you go straight to jail for unlicensed carry. Would you agree to that?

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay let me play devils advocate here. Lets say they pass a law where you are allowed to open carry or conceal..your choice.Lets say the law states that as an officer I am allowed to ask you for your license at any time for any reason. And if you dont have one you go straight to jail for unlicensed carry. Would you agree to that?

No. I do not believe a person should need permission to access any of his rights. Police should not be bothering honest citizens unnecessarily.

Michael

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am afraid I have to agree with GC. Law Enforcement has to have some way to determine whether the person carry legally be in possesion of the firearm. How else are they going to do that without issueing some sort of license. Otherwise we would have convicted felons walking around with firearms openly strapped to their hip and the civilians and LEO's would be
none the wiser as if they are legal or not.

It just comes down to checks and balances and officer safety can sometime overule your rights as a citizen. Whether right or wrong that's the way it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom