Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

kyle1337

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me get my .02 cents here since open carry is legal in my state with no license. You can't carry in a bar, school campus or any private property with no weapon signs, but that applies to CCW as well. I open carry on range days, that and it gets a little warm in the summer too! So when I stop at starbucks no one looks twice, I have had a couple people come up to me and ask me if I was LE and I would state no and they would step back and ask why I was carrying a gun and I would state it was my right and that a right not excersized is a right lost and try to convince them too if their pro 2nd A. Both people that asked nodded and left. Other than that, it's not a big deal, that and alot of people here have their heads so far up their *** that they don't pay attention to their surroundings anyway. Let alone whats on someones waist, most people glancing probably think it's a cell phone(people are used to that).

PS. My wife open carries with me too, AND SHE CARRIES A BERETTA! M92FS with a 20rnd mag...she calls it her "zombie killer" LOL!

PPS I'm for open carry unlicensed, in fact I'm for conceal carry unlicensed. My DL should be my CCL.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I wish we could carry guns without any restrictions but it is not realistic. I teach the SDA classes and many of the students who are fully qualified under the law and successfully complete the class should never carry a firearm without a great deal of additional training. Open carry adds a whole new dimension in weapons retention. If adults are responsible enough to get the necessary training then it would work great. Most will not do it so open carry puts them much more at risk.

I totally agree with ExSniper. Hell, you don't even have to demonstrate you can hit a target to get an Okla. CCW.

I'll be okay with open carry when those individuals exercising their 2A rights pass the CLEET law enforcement pistol qualification and handgun retention training.

I have to do it every year to open carry as LEO. Citizens should too, if they openly carry. Oklahoma statutes require this of me. And it's my "constitutional right" to demand equal protection under the law, right?

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, you take standardized psych test (MMPI). If you're loony, you can't carry a gun. CLEET qualification involves a minimum of 32 hours of classroom and range time, though many departments require many more hours of training. IMO, the more, the better.

There's firearms safety, operation, legal and deadly force stuff you must pass.

I won't disclose the details of the actual course of fire, cause it may be LE sensitive info. But it involves drawing from holster and shooting within a few seconds at a target that's about 12" x 18" (scoring area) at various distances. Passing score is 72%

The rule of thumb we use is that in an actual gunfight, accuracy decreases 30-40%. So if you think a score of 72 is good, you'll most likely be shot or dead in real life.

In my organization we train with pistols out to 50 yards; shotguns (with slugs) out to 100 yds. This year, though it wasn't for qualification purposes, we shot pistols at targets from 50, 75 & 100 yards. Most of us were pinging the steel at 100 yds.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree with ExSniper. Hell, you don't even have to demonstrate you can hit a target to get an Okla. CCW.

I'll be okay with open carry when those individuals exercising their 2A rights pass the CLEET law enforcement pistol qualification and handgun retention training.

I have to do it every year to open carry as LEO. Citizens should too, if they openly carry. Oklahoma statutes require this of me. And it's my "constitutional right" to demand equal protection under the law, right?
you are wrong, show me where the 2nd amendment tells me i have to pass any kind of training course, apply for any kind of license, pay any kind of tax to exercise my constitutional right.
you have to go through the CLEET training because you chose a profession in which you are required to carry a weapon to protect not only yourself, but the common citizens as well.
Can you tell us more about what is involved with CLEET certification?

B
I would be interested in knowing what is involved as well...

even a LEO can not open carry when off duty, so CLEET certification would be useless unless you plan to have a job requiring you to carry a weapon

Latest posts

Top Bottom