Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when are we going to wake up as a people and see, that the 2nd amendment says "shall not be infringed" that means no laws of any kind, and yes i do want a libertarian government, because that is what my founding father were, and our constitution is, so any law (prepare yourself) is a terroristic attack on our rights and anyone who enfores such is one. (am i now the enemy because i tell you the truth), what happened to the oath of I promise to protect the constitution from both foreign and domestic attackers.

The nature of an ever expanding government, combined with a citizenry that is more interested in Dancing with the Stars, has led to new "interpretations" of the 2nd amendment and others. For some reason, people (even some gun supporters) have been warped into believing that the government should regulate (i.e. license) our constutitional freedoms because people do not have "training" or the intelligence to handle such freedom.

I have spent extended periods of time in the states of Arizona and New Mexico (both allow Open Carry), and when I have encountered individuals carrying a firearm I was not the least bit concerned. If I recall, the President had a rally in Phoenix several months ago and a guy open carried his AR-15 to protest....(I must admit that is a little too aggressive :shocked: of a statement for me, even though I can't stand the current administration) BUT nothing happened and the individual was not harassed because he was fully in his rights in the state of Arizona.

And no, I am not saying I want to live in the wild west, nor do I want to legalize RPGs for my next door neighbor. And yes, the government can and should regulate certain things. For instance, the privledge of driving etc etc.

Lastly, I would think that everyone agrees that firearm users should get training (and the more the merrier). And the training should not be a one-time thing, we should repeat our training on occasion as a good refresher.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No I don't know every SOP for every department in the universe, but I know the CLEET use of force continuum...

CLEET is completely irrelevant for non-cops. All that is required is that the person fears for his/her life, or the life of another.

Learn the key words here:
reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another

In fact, some states have statutes that grant extremely broad self defense rights. Oklahoma is one of those states.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?citeid=69782

By the letter of that statute, a person could shoot a would-be intruder through the door/window if he/she believed a break-in was occurring. Because the statute includes vehicles, Oklahoma residents can legally fire at will at a stranger trying to open their passenger door.

The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

Again, CLEET is completely irrelevant here. This statute offers extremely high deterrent value. Would-be burglars who know of this law, know that they may be shot though the window or door. That ought to make them think twice before creeping around houses at night.

Open-Carry would do the same thing. If you fear being a "target" it's no big deal, nobody is proposing mandatory open-carry for all OK residents, just revoking the law that makes it explicitly illegal. Take a look at other states before getting so uptight about it. It's not illegal to open-carry in Pennsylvania, but you don't exactly see half the population doing it all the time, it's actually quite rare. In fact, it's legal to carry in bars there too, and I'm pretty sure there are less drunken bar shootouts in PA than OK. When it comes to personal safety, government is never the answer.

The people that fear monger over open-carry are ridiculous, anyone who is a gun owner, and thinks that open-carry should be specifically prohibited by law needs a swift kick in the balls.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I stated just a couple of post before, I am for open carry and see many times I would use it, mostly in instances where I would not be observed wearing.
This is why, in a SHTF situation, where BG's come in with intent to do harm, steal, or bodily injury, they will always have the advantage because most of the time their gun is already drawn and pointed, if I am open carrying in that situation, I will at the very least be disarmed, (because I may be fast and good, but I still cannot beat someone pointing a gun at me when mine is still in the holster), but worse will probably be dead, because they saw my gun before I saw them. Now if I have it concealed I can get the bead on them when they are focused on something else, if I have a gun sitting on my hip in plain sight, that is their first focus.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is why, in a SHTF situation, where BG's come in with intent to do harm, steal, or bodily injury, they will always have the advantage because most of the time their gun is already drawn and pointed...

Don't be ridiculous, they're not going to just ignore you because you're not open-carrying and wait for you to ambush them.

If SHTF, your only chances of survival are becoming a silent ninja, and/or heading for the hills, WOLVERINES!

There is no point in racing keyboard on thousands of different tactical situations that are almost completely irrelevant. The only point that matters is this:

Open-Carry is statutorily illegal in OK. If you love liberty, you oppose this legislation. If you support this legislation, you support a totalitarian nanny-state, there is no middle-ground.

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, they're not going to just ignore you because you're not open-carrying and wait for you to ambush them.

If SHTF, your only chances of survival are becoming a silent ninja, and/or heading for the hills, WOLVERINES!

There is no point in racing keyboard on thousands of different tactical situations that are almost completely irrelevant. The only point that matters is this:

Open-Carry is statutorily illegal in OK. If you love liberty, you oppose this legislation. If you support this legislation, you support a totalitarian nanny-state, there is no middle-ground.

I agree with you Jon.

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think overall that concealed carry is a better idea for all the reasons previously mentioned. I think it is good that criminals do not know who is armed and who is not.

However, I am all for legal open carry if an individual wishes, especially on private property.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jon there is only one thing I disagree with you on.
Is Open Carry legal in OK? No

Should Open Carry be legal in OK? Yes
I think it should, you think it should, everyone on this board thinks it should, so not much need for further discussion there. Now there is a lot of room for discussion in regards to the application if it ever became legal.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Jon there is only one thing I disagree with you on.
Is Open Carry legal in OK? No

Should Open Carry be legal in OK? Yes
I think it should, you think it should, everyone on this board thinks it should, so not much need for further discussion there. Now there is a lot of room for discussion in regards to the application if it ever became legal.

You, I, and most of the board agree. However, 11% of the people who responded to the poll don't think it should be legal in OK, and they need to understand the implications of expanding government power in opposition to liberty.

Perhaps I over-stated the issue by saying nothing else mattered. There are clearly some considerations for how or why people might open-carry. I merely meant that the question presented that started this thread was simply whether it should be legal or illegal.

And basically that how/why/when people OC, or the broad range of fictional tactical situations and statistics about violent crime that people continue to present are separate from the issue of whether we should allow the government to tell us that we are breaking the law if we fail to properly conceal a firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom