Opinion: Which AR is the has better Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best AR based on Quality

• DPMS

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • RRA

Votes: 61 29.6%
  • M&P

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • Olympic

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Bushmaster

Votes: 34 16.5%
  • Stag

Votes: 33 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for referencing that link. That was something I read a while back and could not remember where I found it. It has lots of good information and a nice read especially for AR-newbies.

The military has a set of specifications (the often mis-used term "mil-spec") which is a minimum set of specifications that they want. Whichever company meets those specs and has the lowest bid gets the contract. They also look at whether or not the company can meet the production schedules and other things as well. The miltary gets M16s/M4s from Colt, FN and I believe Sabre recently got a contract as well. I think that Bushmaster also got a military contract to provide M16s for some foreign countries. None of this means that these are "the best", only that they meet the specs/cost that the government wants. Some commerical AR manufactures do not meet mil-spec and others exceed them. Which one would be best for YOU would depend on what YOU want to use it for and how much YOU are willing to pay. The often seen chart by rob_s (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html) does show a lot about which manufacturers meet which specs, but again, that does not mean it shows what is the best for YOUR circumstances.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how many posters on this thread own more than one AR.

I'm building my third (bought my first, built my second from scratch, now working on another build with a factory built upper).

I've built maybe .5% as many rifles as the P/A - and he's been right about every piece of advice he's ever given me.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know who the six people that voted for Oly are?!!?!?!?! And will this thread ever die!?!?!?! It's sad when the person who started it is banned now and it's still alive.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several and will have several more.

I started with a stock pre-ban Colt lightweight. Nice rifle and I probably put about 800 malf free rounds through it, but none of them were heavy use. My second one was a pre-ban Olympic with lots of mods and again, several hundred malf free rounds but no heavy use. My 3rd was a Bushmaster, but didn't put many through it before selling (didn't like it personally).

My current AR is a mutt (old Professional Ordinance upper and DPMS lower with JARD trigger). This rifle has malfed, but I use it a lot harder than any other to date. I upgraded the springs and bumpers in the bolt and got rid of some suspect mags and it's been malf free since then. I use it in practical rifle competition and it's a winner quite often. I have about 2,500 rounds through this one so far.

It's not what you'd call a quality rifle, but it suits my purpose and after a few mods, seems to work fine. Whether it would stand up to a 1,500 round class is a question unanswered to date.

I do know that you usually get what you pay for. I've got a Noveske Switchblock upper arriving Monday for my RR M-16, along with a bunch of Larue goodies and a CTR stock and grip. I'll post updates on how it performs as I get some rounds downrange. I'll wait to call it GTG till I have a couple thousand down the pipe w/o problems. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom