Opinions on automatic knives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an old SOG that I lost in the lake two weeks ago, so I ordered an SOG ST-02. Got it yesterday and the safety latch/lever/button is so loud and distracting that it makes me climb the walls. Called the place I bought it, they have a 30 day return policy, but he said, "yeah, SOG's are kind of an entry level knife....not really anything you can do about that". Now I LOVED my old SOG. NEVER had a single issue with it, built tight, kept a good edge, worked 100%.

SO...I'm looking at buying a Benchmade 9051BLK. Anyone have any experience with them? Any recommendations on anything else?

Requrements:

1. Automatic

2. Black

3. Belt clip

Would like a serrated blade, but it's not a deal breaker.

And that's about it.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Zero Tolerance 0650ST that I loved. It was a little big for EDC for me and BIL was getting deployed and it went with him to Iraq, with the caveat that it would stay there and be passed on/used. There a bit tough to find, but I *personally* wouldn't hesitate buying one again. IIRC, street price was around $100 which, for an auto, would be considered low-end by some, but I'm a big fan of ZT knives, and this one didn't disappoint. 154CM steel, 3.75" blade...

Article in Tactical Knives

*That being said, I just did a quick search and can't find any available anywhere so my recommendation might have been a waste of time for you! :-)

I've never played with the BM 9051BLK so I can't say anything about it other than the specs look decent, not a terrible price either.

Others to consider (in similar price range):

Sypderco Citadel

Pro Tech TR-4

I'm sure others will post opinions as well, but I always like having a little variety/options to consider...

Good luck! You better post what you end up going with!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you guys realize that Oklahoma law forbids the carrying of spring assisted knives?
I don't know if it's taken effect yet, but I'm pretty sure Fallin signed the bill removing the language making it illegal to carry a spring-assisted knife. Automatic knives are still illegal to carry, though.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does that apply to LEO or military as well? I'm a recent transplant and don't have any autos anymore, but as I said in my previous post, carried one daily while living in OR.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would it not apply to LE or Military?

I was referring to the legality of carrying an auto. In a lot of states where they are illegal for most, they are okay for LE & active military to carry...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was referring to the legality of carrying an auto. In a lot of states where they are illegal for most, they are okay for LE & active military to carry...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I still don't understand why it would be legal for LE or Military to have a switch blade when citizens are not allowed.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still don't understand why it would be legal for LE or Military to have a switch blade when citizens are not allowed.

le/mil are better than everybody else, and deserve more freedom.

§ 1272. Unlawful carry

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purseor other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or riflewhether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchbladeknife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife havinga bladewhich opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carryingor useof weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statuteor authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and useof any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of theemploying agency;

4. The carryingor useof weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judgeor special district judgewithin this state, who is in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of theOklahoma Self-DefenseAct and whose nameappears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of theCourts; or

5. The carryingand useof firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, “living history reenactment” means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearingor useof period, historical, antique or vintageclothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom