Opinions on Yugoslav M48/K98 purchase......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I have had my heart set on purchasing an M1A but at this time they are just too pricey so the M1A will have to wait a bit.

Now, browsing through a local shop I came across a Yugoslav M48/K98 in 8mm. The rifle itself looks like it is in real nice condition. The stock needs some work but still looks good but it is, from the research I've done is made of beech wood and looks very similar to teak wood. Apparently the numbers match and they are asking $325. Several other they have are similar condition but with nicer walnut stocks and are going for $500ish.

Can any of you give me personal experience with these rifles. They have a Mauser action which I have always heard are a great platform to start with but what else, about these rifles, should make me buy one? Are they $150 better than a Mosin M44?

What say you. Thanks

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I have had my heart set on purchasing an M1A but at this time they are just too pricey so the M1A will have to wait a bit.

Now, browsing through a local shop I came across a Yugoslav M48/K98 in 8mm. The rifle itself looks like it is in real nice condition. The stock needs some work but still looks good but it is, from the research I've done is made of beech wood and looks very similar to teak wood. Apparently the numbers match and they are asking $325. Several other they have are similar condition but with nicer walnut stocks and are going for $500ish.

Can any of you give me personal experience with these rifles. They have a Mauser action which I have always heard are a great platform to start with but what else, about these rifles, should make me buy one? Are they $150 better than a Mosin M44?

What say you. Thanks

They are generally good rifles. Watch out for Mitchells Mausers though! They are overpriced and not collectible. BUT they are usually good shooters. A Mauser action that i would prefer would be the VZ24. They are very nice rifles with smooth actions and are built to a high standard. The problem with VZ24's is that they are generally worn down because they are used so much. $325 Sounds like a decent deal to me on the M48 though.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What Been said. As for your question about better than a Mosin, i would just say they are different. Mosin are cheaper because of the supply.

M

milsurp

A little pricy for an M48. Grab a VZ24 and get sling, ammo pouches and a bayonet for less money. If the stock looks ratty forget it. It should be cherry for that price.

Hold up! I just reread your post. 500 for an M48???? Yikes!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom