Opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
who is manufacturing the better semi-auto .22lr these days? Ruger with it’s 10/22 or the Marlin model 60? Going to purchase 4 rifles for my grandkids for Christmas. Ages 5,6,10 & 11.
Even thinking about Henry lever guns for the two older ones. Any opinions or advice?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having spent a week in a dusty environment with a 10/22, with people shooting Marlin 795's on the line next to me (same action as a 60, but with a box magazine instead of a tube), the 795's were much more reliable. The 10/22 has a lot more customization options available--if the AR-15 is Lego for adults, then the 10/22 is the .22LR answer to Legos--but I'd rather have the 795 for most uses.

In good news, you can get Tech Sights (a replica of the AR-15 irons) for both. I recommend them.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that this is kinda like a Ford vs. Chevy debate question. I own an older Marlin 60 but I didn’t know if they were any good after they were taken over by Remington.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dave and Shadowrider thanks for the replies. I had wondered about the Marlin 795 Dave. I think I will need to check them out in person. Just from looking at online photos the 795 just looks cheap. What sez you Dave?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dave and Shadowrider thanks for the replies. I had wondered about the Marlin 795 Dave. I think I will need to check them out in person. Just from looking at online photos the 795 just looks cheap. What sez you Dave?
I like the 795's I've handled. Yes, they're polymer-stocked, but for a utility gun, I view that as an asset, not a drawback. If you want to make something pretty, you'll definitely find more aftermarket options for the 10/22.

I've definitely never thought the internals were cheaply-made, though.

As between the two, you'd be well-served to go ask over at the Appleseed Forum at https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php . There are lots of threads on the topic there.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 795's I've handled. Yes, they're polymer-stocked, but for a utility gun, I view that as an asset, not a drawback. If you want to make something pretty, you'll definitely find more aftermarket options for the 10/22.

I've definitely never thought the internals were cheaply-made, though.

As between the two, you'd be well-served to go ask over at the Appleseed Forum at https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php . There are lots of threads on the topic there.
Thanks! I will check it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom