OU - West Virgina Oct 19, 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why the double numbers on several players like 1, 3, 4 etc?

What does it mean to be a redshirt senior like Conner McGuinnes. QB? Since he's a senior he's ineligible for playing after this year?
A red shirt senior means yes, he has already used his red shirt year. You get four years of eligibility, but can red shirt one year so that you are on the team for up to five years. You hardly ever hear them say "red shirt senior", usually it's "true freshman", or "red shirt freshman" (sophomore, or junior, etc), true meaning if they are a true freshman they can stay up to four more years, red shirting one. A red shirt freshman has already used it, so has three more years of eligibility left.

So I would assume Connor McGuinnes is in his fifth and last year of eligibility. I'm not sure about the graduate transfer rules, he might get another year if he transfers to another school? Someone else will have to explain that one...

Does that make sense? I probably over complicated it....

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A red shirt senior means yes, he has already used his red shirt year. You get four years of eligibility, but can red shirt one year so that you are on the team for up to five years. You hardly ever hear them say "red shirt senior", usually it's "true freshman", or "red shirt freshman" (sophomore, or junior, etc), true meaning if they are a true freshman they can stay up to four more years, red shirting one. A red shirt freshman has already used it, so has three more years of eligibility left.

So I would assume Connor McGuinnes is in his fifth and last year of eligibility. I'm not sure about the graduate transfer rules, he might get another year if he transfers to another school? Someone else will have to explain that one...

Does that make sense? I probably over complicated it....
That's basically it, although some players can get an extra year due to extenuating circumstances--f'rinstance, Jason White was granted a second redshirt year because of a season-ending knee injury early in the season (giving him a sixth year of eligibility).

It used to be that you'd only refer to a player as a redshirt freshman or maybe a redshirt sophomore, but over the last decade or two, it has become more common to refer to upperclassmen as redshirt juniors/seniors. My guess is that the increasing occurrence of players leaving early for the NFL draft has something to do with it, but it could just be lazy journalism...

As for the graduate transfer, I don't think that gives you any extra eligibility, it just means that you don't have to sit out a year, and I don't think the school you're leaving can block your transfer.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the medical red shirt may not be as much of an issue now, with being able to play in four games and still red shirting. I don't know if they changed the rule, but four games would at least seem to lower the odds.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We didn't have football in my school. Too small even for ironman. We did take state championships in basketball and baseball though.
Never even played any organized football. I like watchin it though.

According to wiki, red shirting means you can play in 4 games per season. Why would a Senior be red shirted is my question. What would the player's circumstances be academically, and athletically?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to wiki, red shirting means you can play in 4 games per season. Why would a Senior be red shirted is my question. What would the player's circumstances be academically, and athletically?
That four games thing started last year; before that, if you played in one game, you lost your redshirt year, even if it was the last game of the season (and that has happened). A redshirt senior normally isn't someone who redshirted as a senior, he's just a senior who was redshirted, usually in his freshman year; however, an upperclassman who wasn't redshirted might take a medical redshirt year (f'rinstance, if he got hurt in practice before the season), especially if he's not really a pro prospect.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That four games thing started last year; before that, if you played in one game, you lost your redshirt year, even if it was the last game of the season (and that has happened). A redshirt senior normally isn't someone who redshirted as a senior, he's just a senior who was redshirted, usually in his freshman year; however, an upperclassman who wasn't redshirted might take a medical redshirt year (f'rinstance, if he got hurt in practice before the season), especially if he's not really a pro prospect.
giphy.gif

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Snattlerake, maybe just think about it like this, it'll be easier for you; a lot of times, OU Players wear red shirts. Usually when they do, they have on white pants, but not always. Sometimes, the shirt is white and the pants are ... white...or red...or they are both red or white. Sometimes a Coach will designate a player to put on a redshirt because (A). His academic's suck (He can't hardly read the big words in the playbook) or (B). He's not good enough yet to be on the field but the Coach thinks he maybe can be if he practices hard and so on.

I think under Boren, there was a highly-paid PhD Vice President in charge of asking the Coach what color of shirts (and pants; they liked pants) the players would wear at a game, and then he would go tell Boren in a secret meeting. Sometimes this would get leaked to the press and get out before it was supposed to. And then once the media got hold of it, well you know what happened then and how it led to the downfall of Boren and his boy-lover administrator(s).

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Snattlerake, maybe just think about it like this, it'll be easier for you; a lot of times, OU Players wear red shirts. Usually when they do, they have on white pants, but not always. Sometimes, the shirt is white and the pants are ... white...or red...or they are both red or white. Sometimes a Coach will designate a player to put on a redshirt because (A). His academic's suck (He can't hardly read the big words in the playbook) or (B). He's not good enough yet to be on the field but the Coach thinks he maybe can be if he practices hard and so on.

I think under Boren, there was a highly-paid PhD Vice President in charge of asking the Coach what color of shirts (and pants; they liked pants) the players would wear at a game, and then he would go tell Boren in a secret meeting. Sometimes this would get leaked to the press and get out before it was supposed to. And then once the media got hold of it, well you know what happened then and how it led to the downfall of Boren and his boy-lover administrator(s).

I knew it! It was all that Italian dude Mangio's fault. Him bein Catholic n all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom