Out of state tags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see already that some of you are talking about Colorado elk hunts. The thing that I'm wondering is which states are over the counter for mule deer, bear, maybe antelope? I've done some searching on the net, but some of the state's sites are rather confusing, at least to me. Also, my brother in law and I are considering a guided/semiguided hunt next year for one of those species, so if any of you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear about them. And have any of you ever used Cabela's to book a hunt? Thanks ahead of time.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most states out west are draw only for those species. In Colorado they do have over the counter elk tags but I'm not sure about mule deer, never really checked into it. Montana may be over the counter for black bear but I'm not sure on that. As far as doing a guided hunt for any of these species, be prepared to pay a premium especially if you go through Cabelas. I've never gone on a guided hunt but if you don't know the country or know someone who does it's not a terrible idea if you can afford it. I know there are lots of public land areas in Wyoming and Montana that hold tons of antelope and mule deer, and there are some pretty accessible areas in both of those states to get yourself onto a black bear too. Do some research on individual states draws and educate yourself on the options before you hire a guide. I think you'll find that there are plenty of areas where you can easily do it yourself. Eastman's Hunting Journal has some decent resources as well as several other hunting and fishing magazines to educate you on different state's drawings. Good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom