Outdoor canning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone do their canning outdoors? Was wanting to do this so as to not heat up the house in the summer time. Been looking at the outdoor type propane cookers but not sure how big of one or which ones are best. Will be doing almost all pressure type with an occasional water bath if I get a good supply of tomatoes. I think I heard no bigger than a 15,000 BTU was needed. Also any experience with outside? Any pros or cons?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we had 3 or 4 pressure cookers going at 1 time had some in the opening of the garage to stay out of the wind and 1 inside on the stove top.
No different than cooking a meal on a camp fire .. make a wind block to conserve heat.. have a table right there to work off of really helps.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a fact.

The amount of heat generated in electric cooking coils and then the weight on top of that tends to deform them a little to a lot or deform the struts below the coils.
I have done a LOT of pressure canning/cooking on the stove top and burned out 1 coil and burned out one selector switch.
Warped 2 burner coils where light weight pans now rock on them.. Yes you can tweak the struts back to close enough.

I would think gas cook top may work better.
I have had many propane bottles given to me for free and have given many away. got a free turkey cooker stand and all the goodies from a buddy.

You could do it with wood also.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom