Over spray on a scope lens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is an expensive / top quality scope, you do NOT want to use nail polish, acetone or anything else like that, that will remove the outer coating from the lens. If you do, it will scratch very easily and will fog up even easier!

Flood the lens surface with Windex and after 10-15 minutes, use Q-tips to "gently" wipe the paint away. Keep the surface wet with Windex until you get all of the paint off of the lens surface.

Once the lens is clean, coat the lens with an "anti-fog" misting spray that you can get from places like Walgreens or somewhere that carries camera lens cleaner or glasses cleaner.

Properly cleaned and treated, your scope lens should be good as new!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is an expensive / top quality scope, you do NOT want to use nail polish, acetone or anything else like that, that will remove the outer coating from the lens. If you do, it will scratch very easily and will fog up even easier!

Flood the lens surface with Windex and after 10-15 minutes, use Q-tips to "gently" wipe the paint away. Keep the surface wet with Windex until you get all of the paint off of the lens surface.

Once the lens is clean, coat the lens with an "anti-fog" misting spray that you can get from places like Walgreens or somewhere that carries camera lens cleaner or glasses cleaner.

Properly cleaned and treated, your scope lens should be good as new!
AFAIK, having nitrogen on the inside of the scope (nitrogen-filled) is what prevents fogging. Coatings are generally for glare reduction and/or tinting, and are much softer than glass (regarding scratching).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
:drunk2:

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It h
AFAIK, having nitrogen on the inside of the scope (nitrogen-filled) is what prevents fogging. Coatings are generally for glare reduction and/or tinting, and are much softer than glass (regarding scratching).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
:drunk2:

You are correct, but without a quality coating on the outside of the lens, it can and will still fog up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom