Pawnee Run N Gun July 19th, 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot the board a few times in stage 6. I was huffing and puffing after going up that "mountain" and just didn't have it together. I learned a lot and will be doing many more of these, this was my first. Just glad I got the Tavor running after it took a dump in stage one. Got to figure out what's wrong with the firing pin spring. It did well at 500.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I had stage six in the bag I RO'd so I was the first shooter on stage Friday just before noon, I whipped out the shooting sticks thinking I got this, problem 1 it was wet and soft dirt, my sticks sunk in the mud under the weight of the rifle. Problem 2 my heart & breathing was out of control from running up the hill there was no wait time, I was struggling enough to time the wobble with support just not sure if I could do it free standing 3:45 for that stage.

I helped RO stage 5

Funniest thing i saw was a shooter's Gerber multitool clip catch on the bob wire and latch on. He jerked & jerked neither wire or latch gave. Definitely a quality tool because he had to correctly unlatch tool from the bob wire. Only took shooter a minute & a half to crawl under wire.
Second funniest thing was a shooter had a cramp as he started under wire. Laid there for at least 40 seconds then slowly crawled, he shot the stage 5 for 5 extremely fast.

Hats off to all the women shooters on stage 5 two out of three went 5 for 5 all three shot very well, one had rifle issues but she knew this and ran AR like a bolt gun.
That's all for now

frayluisfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A big thanks to Daniel and Al for all their hard work in organizing the match, to the ROs for their patience, and to the McAllisters for hosting the run on their land. This was my first RunnGun, and I had a great time. Just like you guys said, it was a good opportunity to see how my gear and my abilities hold up under stress and fatigue. I felt the course really hit the mark in being challenging but not impossible. I also was grateful to all the other shooters who made my son, John, feel so welcome.

I DQ'd on the 500 yd stage. Had no clue where my rounds were going. Ballistic tables I consulted turned out to be off, but I have no place to go to practice at 500--my home range only has targets out to 225 yds. Where do you guys go in the Tulsa area to practice at longer range?

One question about the VTAC board. I understand the logic of shooting from awkward positions. I'm not clear on why we practice shooting with the rifle turned sideways. I'm not complaining! I'm just new to this kind of shooting and was curious.

Thanks again, guys, for a great match! Mike/frayluisfan

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I helped RO stage 5

Are the RO who took a phone from someone's wife and did the awesome commentary on the video?

One question about the VTAC board. I understand the logic of shooting from awkward positions. I'm not clear on why we practice shooting with the rifle turned sideways. I'm not complaining! I'm just new to this kind of shooting and was curious.

It's to represent shooting under a barrier or a vehicle. Sometimes the barrier/vehicle is too low and you can't go to the normal prone postion.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen who lost one. I think I know who it is. I'll contact him

Thanks. I thought I might recognize who it belonged to but we were late getting back to the barn after tearing down our stage. A lot of folks had already left and the awards presentation was almost over....he must've moved on.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks again, guys, for a great match! Mike/frayluisfan
Mike I believe you had the FNAR. I run a bolt gun, I have a 56 mm objective with low rings my scope is as close to the barrel as I can get it, i prop the barrel on the wall and shoot straight up. On my scope As long as a little bit of lens can get through the port I can see the target, this may work for you. To see what i am talking about cover up 80% of your scope lens if you can see you should be good to go. Rifle may shoot 1-1.5 inches high at 100 yds.

Not so much of a why do we use the vtac wall response but a how to use your equipment to your advantage. You have a semi auto with scope and don't have to cant or turn sideways like the AR crowd that's a win in my book.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gmar that was me that doing the commentary on stage 5. If I remember you was the shooter that went under the wire with the ejection port open and collected a dirt sample with his rifle.
For the record I lost a mag at the beginning of the wire and had to go back & get it after I finished shooting to stop time. I am glad we did not have pistol after that stage or I would have put the Glock reliability to the test my kydex holster & pistol was caked with dirt.
Glad you & your wife had fun later,
Corey

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn stage 5, couldn't find the damn close target on the left, added about 30 seconds to my time.

And I seen that video, that was some GREAT commentary!

Latest posts

Top Bottom