Pawnee Run N Gun July 19th, 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone's probably licking their wounds, cleaning gear and/or tied up with Sunday stuff. Heck, I didn't get home until almost 11pm last night and just now cleaned our rifles.

I saw quite a few gopros and such, hopefully we'll get to see some of the footage. What about the pics that Boomer took?

I'll try to get hold of Boomer - we'll try to get the pics on our web page. May take a bit...I think everyone's still recovering from a long weekend.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were some extremely fast times on stage 2. For everyone that did it under 1.5 minutes, did you use your rifle or pistol?

I ran it in 1.18 and used pistol on targets 1-4, then transitioned to rifle for 5-8 and the pin. There was no strategy to that other than to push myself to work the long gun around the sides of the barricade. I also wanted to shoot the low port on 7/8 in modified prone so that I didn't have to fight my rifle to get to the ground and see through that low port.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're not really talking to me, since I ran stage two in 1.57 minutes. I lost several seconds in a bungled transition. Were I to do it over again, I'd run rifle only and get under 1.5.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funniest thing i saw was a shooter's Gerber multitool clip catch on the bob wire and latch on. He jerked & jerked neither wire or latch gave. Definitely a quality tool because he had to correctly unlatch tool from the bob wire. Only took shooter a minute & a half to crawl under wire.

That would be me. F'ing leatherman made me finish 16th on that stage. Lesson learned, retain my gear better. Overall, I finished 1st in shooting on the 5k, but 30th in run time. So overall, didn't place that great. I need to get out and run more.

As to the stage 2 question. I finished 4th on that one with a 1.17 time. I ran rifle on 1-2, pistol on 3-6 and rifle again on 7-8 and pin. If I had to do it over again, I would have ran it the same way. Just try to be quicker. I made some mental mistakes, like shooting the 5 plate while leaning off the 6 side and vice versa. As well as clearing my pistol before holstering it for no reason.

It was definitely a fun day and each time I run one of these, I learn something new and take something valuable away from it. A BIG thank you to all those that organized and helped out with this event.

I also would like to give a big shout out to all the guys running the 10k version. Y'all ran twice as far as myself and quite a few others, and put up some awesome times on the stages. Congratulations to everyone for showing up and completing this event. I have some friends that have a LOT of $$ in their gear and refuse to go to events like this to actually test/run it.

On a side note: This was my first time running an ACOG (purchased a week before this event) and I have to say, they are flat out awesome. I bought the 33 model that is a 3x with a TON of eye relief. The eye relief was more important to me then the extra 1x the 31 model offers. It allows you to make awkward shots like those on the vtac board easier. I sighted it in to the 55gr wolf ammo that I was going to use for the event and it was good to go. On stage 3 I put it on the 5 hash in the reticle and pulled the trigger 4 times with 3 hits in 33 seconds. I should have done it quicker, but waited to get the audio feedback from the steel each time before pulling the trigger again. Lesson learned again. It performed well on all targets that were at distance without having to do any guess work. I still need to get used to using it on the close range and off-hand stuff, but I can see what all the fuss is about.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the pic of all the OSA members at the Run 'n Gun (at least everyone who stuck around for the awards ceremony):
10500498_730832303642200_8306923597490592729_n.jpg

These and other pics are posted on Boomer Blomgren's Facebook.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a pretty salty crew. ;-)

You should see if Boomer can put some of his pics on the OK Run and Gun Facebook or web page (He probably doesn't want a rush of Friend requests just to see his pics LOL).

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point... I will see what I can do!

Yeah, I used my rifle for all of stage 2. I think I did it in 41 seconds or something like that... it was the best time. I did a tac reload between the 2nd and 3rd firing positions. Nick, the RO, took a video of it... hopefully I can get it from him soon.

Yeah jakerz, I love ACOGs... I haven't used them in a while in favor of variable power tube bodied optics, but they have the best BDC/ranging reticle around, and really great glass. They are just the ticket for the 500 yd. stage... though I think the best time on that was actually done by UMB with a 10.5" AR with a red dot! I think if I were to use an ACOG again, I'd want an offset RMR or H1/T1 to use for closer stuff.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like that ACOG Jakerz had. A lot. If I could learn to use it for stuff inside 50 yards or so with the same speed as a red dot, it would be a no brainer to make the switch. Im thinking the horseshoe reticule would be better for up close, but I really don't have any significant time behind them to say one way or another. Obviously, the ability to use it at distance without having to futz with elevation adjustments is a big plus. Maybe I can find a place to "rent" me one before dropping the coin.

On another note, does any one have a good idea of the actual distance the "10k" was? I know it had to be a good k longer than the winter event with the modified stage 2 and the bonus stage. Like Jakerz, I was disappointed in my run time, especially since I thought I had ran enough with a weighted ruck the previous 5 months or so. Still, I didnt feel as gassed at the end, just had issues fighting off ham and hip cramps from about halfway between stage 3 and the bonus stage till the end. I know I hydrated enough based on urine flow and color, but I probably didn't take in enough potassium. At the bonus stage I took a knee and and my right hammy just seized up, forcing me to roll out of it instead of standing up. When i tried to stretch it my hip crease in front cramped. Had to go back and forth like that for a few minutes. If anyone has a suggestion to help alleviate the cramps please feel free to share.

Suffices to say, I am not a runner. I have always hated it. You want me to carry a ruck on a road march, I'm game. Beyond that it is pretty much all suck. Fortunately I like things that suck so I am willing to learn, but I dont want to waste a bunch of effort on something that isn't going to help. It was the Tbird run n gun that gave me the inspiration to get off my ass and get into some semblance of shape. Maybe I just need to spend more time at it. I'm still getting used to not being 30 years old any more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom