Pay Attention. Had a Run Away to day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the big thing I want to say is "Pay attention to your weapon for the little things."

I was out at the range today and a perfectly functioning firearm was giving me a few problems.

Failure to feed
Failure of the bolt to engage
Failure to eject

Then, I had a problem firing. I'd pull the trigger and nothing.
Then the bolt would finish engaging and it would fire.
Figured that I'd need to give it a good cleaning.

I thought it was the magazine, even though I'd never had this problem before.

Swapped magazines, pulled the bolt and released.
half a mag fired off before I could drop the mag out.
No, my finger was not on the trigger.

Popped it open and found a 1/2 busted hammer pin was the culprit.
One side was still in place, but the other side was missing.

Fortunately, the firearm was pointed in a safe direction, but it could have been a very bad scene.

So, the moral of my story is when a firearm that has never given you ANY problems in the past starts giving you a problem, it might be a good idea to stop and give it a thorough inspection. Not sure I would have found the broken hammer pin if it hadn't fallen out, but...

Second, always have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, you NEVER know what is going to go wrong or when.

Dave

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thing no one at a gun range reported it. Someone was prosecuted by the atf for that exact thing...
Of course it was a stretch to repeat it, but they had all the time in the world.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thing no one at a gun range reported it. Someone was prosecuted by the atf for that exact thing...
Of course it was a stretch to repeat it, but they had all the time in the world.

Not sure what they would have prosecuted for other than an accidental discharge.
The gun involved is fitted with a RDIAS.

That's why I posted it in the NFA section

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom