People are not going to work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These fast food jobs originally for the most part hired students who lived with their parent and they needed pocket change or gas money. Where are the students these days? I saw a sign at Arby's offering a bonus for signing on, I can't remember the exact figures since I wasn't looking for a job.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a news broadcast about people rather take the free money than work. I don't remember where this was but, some business was hiring with starting pay of $21 per hour and still couldn't find people wanting to work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't the stimulus money making this happen.
What is making this happen is the federal unemployment add on to the states unemployment payments, and the constant extensions to make it last longer.
Demonrats love making the workforce dependant on the government which is their plan and are "disturbed" that Red states are doing away with the fed payments so people will have to go back to work.

Some feel the enhanced unemployment benefits play a big role in people’s willingness to go back to work. The governors of South Carolina and Montana trace labor shortages employers are facing in their states to federal unemployment benefits and they are eliminating them in their states.

“At the current time, there are 81,684 open positions in the state of South Carolina. The hotel and food-service industries have employee shortages that threaten their sustainability,” said South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce director Dan Ellzey.

“While the federal funds supported our unemployed workers during the peak of COVID-19, we fully agree that reemployment is the best recovery plan for South Carolinians and the economic health of the state.”

‘There are 81,684 open positions in the state of South Carolina. The hotel and food service industries have employee shortages that threaten their sustainability’ — South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce director Dan Ellzey
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster, a Republican, directed his state’s labor department to end all federal unemployment programs on Thursday. That includes the extra $300 a week jobless Americans are eligible to receive through September as part of President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan stimulus package.

Gig workers, independent contractors and self-employed people wouldn’t receive any benefits. These workers only became eligible for federal unemployment benefits through a CARES Act program known as Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte, a Republican, is taking matters one step further.

In addition to ending Montana’s participation in the federal unemployment benefits programs, effective June 27, Gianforte said the state “will launch a return-to-work bonus program, utilizing federal funds authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act,” according to a statement released on Tuesday.

The program would pay a one-time bonus of $1,200 to people who get hired who were previously receiving unemployment benefits. A person must have been receiving unemployment benefit insurance as of May 4, accept a new job, and keep that job for a minimum of 4 paid weeks of paid work.

‘Nearly every sector in our economy faces a labor shortage’ — Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte
“Montana is open for business again, but I hear from too many employers throughout our state who can’t find workers. Nearly every sector in our economy faces a labor shortage,” Gianforte said.

“Incentives matter,” he added, “and the vast expansion of federal unemployment benefits is now doing more harm than good.”

The Department of Labor did not immediately respond to MarketWatch’s inquiry about whether the state could legally repurpose funds that were set aside for unemployment benefits.

‘Based on the Chamber’s analysis, the $300 benefit results in approximately one in four recipients taking home more in unemployment than they earned working’ — U.S. Chamber of Commerce executive vice president and chief policy officer Neil Bradley
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a lobbying group for businesses, agrees with McMaster and Gianforte.

“The disappointing jobs report makes it clear that paying people not to work is dampening what should be a stronger jobs market,” U.S. Chamber of Commerce executive vice president and chief policy officer Neil Bradley said in a statement on Friday.

“One step policymakers should take now is ending the $300 weekly supplemental unemployment benefit. Based on the Chamber’s analysis, the $300 benefit results in approximately 1 in 4 recipients taking home more in unemployment than they earned working.”

Other factors keeping Americans from returning to work
Ben Zipperer, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute, a progressive think-tank, tweeted this in response to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce:

Zipperer said other factors, including fears about going back into the workplace and inadequate wages, play a role in the equation. “Hard to overstate the difficulty and stress a service sector job now requires: additional health and safety protocols, dealing with anti-vaxxers, serious risk of illness,” he wrote on Twitter. “Asking someone to work at pre-pandemic wages is asking for a real wage cut.”

That last bolded comment by the progressive leftist liberal says it all. Why work when the government will pay you to stay home.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look on the bright side I guess.
People are acting in their own economic self interest.
I guess the capitalist spirit is still alive and well (funded with borrowed government dollars though).

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yet there is a push in DC for a 4th stimulus package, that would include a $2000 payment, make monthly payments for those with children thru 2025, and make the unemployment additional funds permanent.

So ya why go back to work. No incentive to work.

Work is for suckers.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in my point of view what is going on is a huge property grab and the doing away with small businesses. if you look at the riots that are tolerated in the cities most are near opportunity zones,the riots drive out businesses and someone else will step in and buy up cheap distressed property and probably renovate with taxpayer help. "maps project" on a larger scale even you and i are victims. every dollar printed just grabbed a small piece of your labor by devaluing your savings and investments and driving up costs for everything.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a sign at Arby's offering a bonus for signing on, I can't remember the exact figures since I wasn't looking for a job.
The sign I saw at the Arby's on Kenosha east of County Line said it was a $500 bonus, paid in stages over the course of several months (something like $100 after one month, another $100 after three months, and the remaining $300 after six months). It seems like that was just for managerial positions, though, not floor scrubbers and fry scoopers.

They did still have the "work today get paid today" banner, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom