People are not going to work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been steadily at it here, even busier due to the MMJ, metal buildings are being slammed up at over and we're back logged.. Even had to contract truss building and trucking..

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in my point of view what is going on is a huge property grab and the doing away with small businesses. if you look at the riots that are tolerated in the cities most are near opportunity zones,the riots drive out businesses and someone else will step in and buy up cheap distressed property and probably renovate with taxpayer help. "maps project" on a larger scale even you and i are victims. every dollar printed just grabbed a small piece of your labor by devaluing your savings and investments and driving up costs for everything.
The Portland authorities protect Antifa, who are now unlawfully carrying firearms, and arrest law abiding citizens and business owners trying to protect their property.
This is messed up.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely... the sense of entitlement in our country today is ridiculous.
Push their dinner plate across the table from them and they'll starve to death. We have a case of national incompetence on the part of millions of people in this country. They not only want free medical care but dental as well. I can understand the population has increased and that there are not that many areas a person can plant a garden as they did in the forties with Victory Gardens but some of these people couldn't grow bermuda grass and if they could they wouldn't mow the grass. Shame on us if there is ever a real war!!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now old Double Barrel Joe says the unemployed need to get back to work, aren't supposed to game the system.

Biden says people able to work must take jobs or lose unemployment
...President Biden on Monday said he wants to make sure people offered a job either take it or lose the generous COVID-19 unemployment benefits.
“The law is clear: if you’re receiving unemployment benefits and you’re offered a suitable job, you can’t refuse that job and just keep getting the unemployment benefits,” Biden said at the White House.
“No one should be allowed to game the system and we will insist that the law is followed.”
https://nypost.com/2021/05/10/biden-people-able-to-work-must-take-jobs-or-lose-unemployment/

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stitt needs to follow Montana and South Carolina and end the federal pandemic unemployment. Last year was a breeze compared to the past 3 months. More people are out spending money but there aren't employees to serve them.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went out to eat last night to celebrate my son's induction into the National Honor Society (insert <rolleyes> here) and one restaurant was closed with sign saying they needed to cut out Mondays due to not enough people to work, another had a 30 minute wait, but you had to leave your cell phone number and wait in your car (restaurant was about 2/3 full as far as I could see, maybe less) and finally ended up at Chili's where I decided to try their BBQ for the first time in more than a decade. Oh my God, that s*** was nasty. I didn't eat half the food on my plate, the appetizer was 10x better. I won't EVER eat that s*** again.

Anyways, yeah, the labor shortage is DEFINITELY being felt in the service industry around here, there's no doubt about it.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were many weeks last year that felt like I was in a dystopic movie. My vehicle was often the only one on an entire deck of the Tulsa BOK Tower North Garage. I've missed ZERO non-PTO days of work since this mess began and thank God for that.

But....

If someone was making less than $15 an hour and laid off because of COVID-19 they'd be out of their financial mind to not to collect the enhanced benefits. If they have children at home they'd also be receiving food & health assistance. We can't act surprised when people react the way they've been incentivized to act. Not leaving money on the table is absolutely a sound financial decision at the individual level.

Yes I do believe they need to start incentivizing work and force transition back to reality now. The second enhanced benefits stop the problem will work itself out.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i i owned a restaurant i would install a buffet and some kind of cafeteria style where the customers could maybe do some of the work themselves. and give the customers a break in cost for the lack of paying an employee. but i could be way off base here cause i know little about the eats business.... adapt,improvise,overcome..... there are many opportunities when change is afoot.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i i owned a restaurant i would install a buffet and some kind of cafeteria style where the customers could maybe do some of the work themselves. and give the customers a break in cost for the lack of paying an employee. but i could be way off base here cause i know little about the eats business.... adapt,improvise,overcome..... there are many opportunities when change is afoot.

I don't know anything about the food service industry either, BUT:

If I owned a restaurant, I think I'd try to focus on minimal floor space and eliminate wait staff entirely. One of the things I've learned from this little pandemic is that getting my food to go is absolutely amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom