Pepper spray?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftcobblake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used many of cans and am a fan. Good stuff just always have plan b, c and d ready in case it doesn't work. I've had great success with it. Sometimes it takes a lil longer that others to start to work but it has not failed me yet.

308shooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get the police issue stuff if you can in a stream. You don't want cone spray always use steam. I think
it's called x2. Or something. It has 1000000000 micromiters of strength. Good hard sticking stuff I've been sprayed by it.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did research and found the Fox spray about the hottest on the market. I got the same stuff you carry, JP. When I was certified on OC, being sprayed with it was optional, but I took a hit just to see what I was dealing with. Man, it shuts you down! Your eyes slam shut, and you simply stop breathing for several moments after you're hit. If you're clostrophobic at all, it will really put you in a panic. I used my Fox spray a little over a month ago. I warned the 'ol boy that this stuff really hurts, but he wouldn't listen, and took a kick at a deputy backing me up, so I sprayed him. I tried to catch the wind right, but it still was swirling enough that both me and the deputy got a taste of it. The BG went straight down, and mellowed out IMMEDIATELY. Later he told me he wished I'd just shot him. I got my OC at Galls.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did research and found the Fox spray about the hottest on the market.

To get an estimate on the heat of a particular product, simply multiply the Scoville Heat Units of your product by the concentration percentage.

i.e. 2 million SHU x .10 = total capsacinoids = how hot the product is.

Fox falls in the top ten hottest formulas but there are several that are significantly hotter.

That said, there is a point of diminishing returns on heat when you are spraying a single individual as opposed to a crowd or relying on indirect contact such as a pepperball gun.

If you are only concerned about contact distance use on an individual, then anything with 1 million SHU and a 5% concentration will be fine with correct use.

That said, if you're buying and you don't have a significant restriction on time or budget, buy the hottest product available.

If you simply have to have something today and need to purchase locally, simply follow the above guidelines.

Michael Brown

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate pepper spray...every person I have sprayed well over 20 while working as a police officer I have still had to fight after spraying them...I have also been sprayed while fighting with suspects by other officers. Pepper spray should not be used as a substitute for sound good Physical Defensive Tactics. And don't think that once you spray someone they will stop being combative because it is my experience that they will continue to fight. If you are going to carry spray though stay away from the foam it is too easily wiped off before being activated by suspects...you should use a good spray delivered in alcohol as a delivery agent. The alcohol evaporates in seconds and cannot be wiped off as easily as foam.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally find OC spray to be an outstanding tool if used properly i.e. as a means of retreat and pre-emptively.

It's not a substitute for training and tactics and it certainly doesn't always take the fight out of folks. In my career I've sprayed or been present for hundreds of OC uses; sometimes it works perfectly and stops aggression right away and sometimes its next to useless but most of the time its somewhere in between.

Most of the problems I've seen with OC have been when it is not used properly i.e. AFTER the fight has begun. For OC spray to work as designed it should be a suprise and done pre-emptively.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom