Pepper spray?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry wasp spray.

The Dove

Of course, if confronted with a criminal attack that can cause death or serious bodily harm, it is legal to use any force up to and including lethal force. So a gun, car, brick, or wasp spray would be lawful.

Having said that, the whole purpose of aerosol self defense sprays is to have something to be effective and lawful when lethal force would not yet be appropriate/lawful.

Why is wasp spray a really bad idea? If you use it you are opening your self up to much greater civil liability as well as potential criminal charges.

OC is safe and effective. Intentionally choosing to use a pesticide with the intent of putting it in someone's eyes is a recipe to loose a lawsuit and get punitive damages added as well. Try and find a lawyer who thinks wasp spray is a good idea.

On the criminal side, look for this quote on your label:

"It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

On the label it says to avoid exposure to eyes. If it is a violation of federal law, it could very easily be a felony.

Even if it does not permanently damage them, their lawsuit will claim it did.

So the short of it is, you better not use it unless you are justified to use lethal force. If you are justified in using lethal force you don't need wasp spray, you need a firearm.

Not trying to pick on you. I'm trying to save you from learning the hard way.

Fiddy

ajl79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my wife and myself the Mean Green from FOX Labs. Since My wife works at a hospital and I am a college professor guns are out there as well.

mike2010

New to the site!
Reaction score
FOX has a known Carcinogen in their spray called Trichloroethylene. It's a jet-engine degreaser that is a major major liability in and of itself. Not to mention it's a liability to those who use this product. I don't think you want to be breathing in a known cancer causer. Seems a little risky. Also, Punch contains a known Carcinogen as well called Perchlorethylene. It was banned by the dry cleaning industry. I wouldn't want to use that one either another major liability. If you don't believe me check out an MSDS. They'll probably be pretty reluctant to give one out but you can still obtain one.

In terms of which sprays are the most potent you want to look at Major Capsaicinoids (MCC's). They are the most accurate indicator of how potent a spray is. OC% is the amount of raw pepper in the formulation, while SHU's is the pungency of that raw pepper. After the formulation has been diluted with whatever makes up the spray you are left the MCC's the true strength of the formula. Anybody who says otherwise is either uninformed or just lying. Def Tech First Defense is .18 MCC's (Level I), FOX is .71 MCC's (Level II), Punch is .67 MCC's (Level II), and SABRE Red is 1.33 MCC's (Level III).

Finally, the WASP spray being a better alternative than Pepper Spray is a MYTH. Police departments worldwide use pepper spray because the inflammatory effects of this agent work on those which cannot feel pain (very important). The inflammatory effects of pepper spray cause eyes to close involuntarily and produce a loss of breath sensation. Pepper spray has been proven effective on deterring and incapacitating aggressive, combative, intoxicated and drug induced individuals for over 20 years.
To date, no human testing has been conducted on WASP spray and it’s a violation of federal law to use in self defense. STICK with the PEPPER SPRAY!

Click here for more info:
http://fortwayne.bbb.org/snopes-25-urban-legends/

ajl79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
FOX has a known Carcinogen in their spray called Trichloroethylene. It's a jet-engine degreaser that is a major major liability in and of itself. Not to mention it's a liability to those who use this product. I don't think you want to be breathing in a known cancer causer. Seems a little risky. Also, Punch contains a known Carcinogen as well called Perchlorethylene. It was banned by the dry cleaning industry. I wouldn't want to use that one either another major liability. If you don't believe me check out an MSDS. They'll probably be pretty reluctant to give one out but you can still obtain one.

Def Tech First Defense is .18 MCC's (Level I), FOX is .71 MCC's (Level II), Punch is .67 MCC's (Level II), and SABRE Red is 1.33 MCC's (Level III).

The Mean Green From Fox Labs is water Based and the MCC is 1.22. It is real nasty stuff.

http://foxlabs.com/meangreen/meangreenpress.pdf

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reding through the post and researching on line, we bought the the Sabre Red KR-14-OC Key Ring Unit and the PFHM-80 Foam Home Unit.

We bought them at H&H Range. We went by Outdoor America, but all they had was the Sabre 3-in-1.

Roadkill Coyote

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For folks who haven't done certification or training, you might consider that many of the companies making O.C. also sell inert training units. They spray the same, but have something like water instead of the actual O.C. While not a substitute for being exposed, these allow you to practice targeting. Get two or three inert units, and practice with a friend. Even though they are inert, goggle up and take turns rushing each other. This will allow you to practice moving laterally while getting the spray into/onto the eyes, nose, mouth, and eyebrows (from which it drips into the eyes). You can also gain more experience judging distance and wind effects.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't carry it but I've been sprayed with it, part as training from OCSO. Wasn't too bad. I've experienced more pain in my eyes from when I was eating jalapenos and touched my eyes then this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom