Pepper spray?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the foam. Too easy for the person you are spraying to wipe it off of their eyeglasses and fling it back at you.

But, I have found OC to be like most things in life--the more experience you have with it, the better you handle it. Working in prisons the past 18 years I've eaten a lot of OC, CS, & CN--to the point that it isn't that big of a deal anymore. If you carry this stuff, get a little on you from time to time so that you know what to expect. It's good stuff, but it's not devastating to people who have experience with it, whether it be you or the ex-con who is attacking you.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For personal use, what are the upsides and downsides of cone vs. stream vs. fog? I like the idea of cone just for the likelihood of getting a better "hit" and a better chance of inhalation than stream, but is it much easier to get yourself with a cone?

Also, are the Sabre Red pen sprayers viable at all? At .36oz, they're half the payload of Sabre's pocket-sized cans, but I don't really know how that translates into actual use.

I am bumping this thread b/c I would like to see some comments on this question also before I buy some for my wife and me to carry. The cone seems like the way to go so aim isn't as critical but I am worried that the cone might be dispersed enough to get on me too.

I don't like anything less than a 2oz can, but I've never actually tried the little pocket or pen sized ones either so :anyone:

Cove vs. Stream...
The comments already made are pretty much accurate.
With stream you need a better aim, but with cone you have a higher chance of getting it yourself.
I feel that this should be of little concern to the user because iMO, you should get sprayed with the stuff youself if you are going to carry it so you know what to expect.
I'll admit I've not taken a hit in quite a while now but I used to on a regular basis...maybe every year....and anytime the cops bust one out, I'm invariably somewhere in the path of it. :scratch:

I've probably taken more sprays to the face than any average citizen outside the cast of "Jackass", and while it definitely sucks, at no time did I ever lose the ability to fight through it.
Again, I believe your ability to withstand it should be regularly tested rather than guessed at.
...that's just my opinion.

I don't like the foam. Too easy for the person you are spraying to wipe it off of their eyeglasses and fling it back at you.

But, I have found OC to be like most things in life--the more experience you have with it, the better you handle it. Working in prisons the past 18 years I've eaten a lot of OC, CS, & CN--to the point that it isn't that big of a deal anymore. If you carry this stuff, get a little on you from time to time so that you know what to expect. It's good stuff, but it's not devastating to people who have experience with it, whether it be you or the ex-con who is attacking you.

I don't like foam either and find the others to be more efficient in their delivery.
OC will completely incapacitate some people, and others it will have no effect on whatsoever.(for all intents and purposes)
I do not carry OC with any degree of enthusiasm towards it's effectiveness.
I carry it only to buy time/distance, or to possibly de-escalate a situation.

If it turns out to work like an atom bomb on the bad guy...GREAT!
But I don't count on it.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they say that it's only effective on about 90% of people.

But, it does work well on dogs. My only self-defense shooting was a dog and it could have been avoided if I had had OC. Since then, I've sprayed four dogs. I don't even allow them to get withing bite range anymore. At the first snarl & bared teeth I shut them up and send them away.

lineflyer9

New to the site!
Reaction score
If you carry pepper spray give it a small test shot to make sure it works. I bought pepper spray for my wife many years ago in Kansas City. She had been carrying it for 2 years. One night as we came home driving up the alley a large german shepard always chased our car so I asked my wife for the pepper spray. Just wanted to see what a small shot would do on the dog. It just dribbled out the end. I only trust a revolver since then.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But, it does work well on dogs. My only self-defense shooting was a dog and it could have been avoided if I had had OC. Since then, I've sprayed four dogs. I don't even allow them to get withing bite range anymore. At the first snarl & bared teeth I shut them up and send them away.

Not always, I had a red nosed pit that chewed open my 2oz can I left laying on the coffee table one night when I had to go bale my ex out of jail. I walked back in the house and couldn't breathe he was laying in the corner licking the can as it came out of the puncture he made.

Had a substitute mail man one time our regular guy got along great with the dog. Guy didn't even have to get close to the dog but decided to spray him with the wimpy .5% OC they get issued, pissed me off and the dog just wanted to play he wanted the can as a chew toy.

Don't depend on it to save you from a bite.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry Sabre Red on duty. When I took the hit, it made my left eye blink and I spit alot (it tasted bad). It felt like a pretty bad sunburn. I won't say that it didn't have any affect on me, but for all intents and purposes, I am immune to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom