Personal space? Beggars..... Bums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read the thread about beggers asking for money. I see one thing most have in common, they get in your face and crowd your space. I was thinking, something I dont do often, just how close do you folks let strange people get to you before your hackels go up?

For me I have 3 zones. The first is when I have my wife and/or daughter with me that is the bigggest area and I watch everyone with the idea they mean us harm.

Zone two is when I am in my wheelchair, I have to have one hand to drive it and it is slow to move so I keep an eye out for the folks who look wrong before they get close.

The third personal safety zone is when I am up walking with my braces on, I am rarely without my pistol but I also carry a 5ft solid maple walking staff. If anyone within 6ft or so wants to get froggy I can deal with that staright away, I dont know but would like to see if the snake that is burned onto my staff will transfer to skin. :ooh2:

May I ask how many of you just see a person at times and know something is wrong. For me its like a little alarm that gets the hair on the back of my neck to tickle, I trust that feeling.

We stopped at a store late one night so my wife could run in and get some milk, I was sitting in the car. When she came out two fellas stepped out from the side of the store and asked her for "a couple bucks" I heard her say I dont have any money. Well one fella said "you must have had money in the store just give us the change". My wife kept walking to our car, I have told her many times that was the best thing to do, I cant be any help from very far away. These two guys were getting quite loud about getting some change. Well when I finally got out and got to my feet the look on their faces was a kodak moment. I was not happy and I look kind of wild most times from lack of shaving and allways had long hair back then. Plus I am 6 ft 5 and 375 lbs, all of a sudden they did not need any change because they left. That was good for all of us. :thumbup3:

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few steps seems ok. I hate it when they continue to close the distance...puts me on edge.

I usually have to problem telling them pretty sternly to back off. Last night when it happened I guess I was just caught off guard (bad thing to happen). My wife and I were just having such a good time, it was her birthday, talking about her childhood birthdays and all sorts of stuff. Guess my mind was just kind of scattered and the guy got way to close and was able to stay there.

Turned out ok, so I consider it a lesson worth learning from. My wife and I discussed it later on to understand what mistakes we made and what we could have done better.

newmaxx11

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you need to be prepared, i dont think this is going to get any better any time soon with Lots of people losing jobs, and not being able to find anything. along with all sorts of other reasons. people will be getting desperate and more aggressive. I kinda liked the idea of saying your calling the police to come and help them out, thats a good one. someone is going to get hurt getting in our faces the way some do.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the 3-5 steps thing as well. If they keep closing in I brake check them or back up and step on their toes if in line somewhere. Of course apologizing afterwards:)

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few steps seems ok. I hate it when they continue to close the distance...puts me on edge.

I usually have to problem telling them pretty sternly to back off. Last night when it happened I guess I was just caught off guard (bad thing to happen). My wife and I were just having such a good time, it was her birthday, talking about her childhood birthdays and all sorts of stuff. Guess my mind was just kind of scattered and the guy got way to close and was able to stay there.

Turned out ok, so I consider it a lesson worth learning from. My wife and I discussed it later on to understand what mistakes we made and what we could have done better.

This is a great thing to do, may help if it happens again. I understand what you are saying about being distracted.

[email protected]

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this seems like a thread started by the fella who ran in the shiftless panhandlers at logans roadhouse (tulsa)????

anyway, i've heard that 3-21 feet is where most shootings happen at

can anyone (LEO's?) corroborate or substantiate this?

i guess since i've gotten my CCL, i've been more aware of my surroundings, and would handle a panhandler by if his/her hands were in pockets, aggressiveness, etc...

i like badgebunny's comment in the other thread, something about ... i'm not reaching for my wallet.....

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a run in with a beggar at claremore walmart, the guy looked generally homeless and legit. He was dirty and filthy looking and was carrying a backpack. I just cashed in my change at the coinstar machine and he asked if i could spare some change and i said no and kept walking. I dont give free handouts anymore.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this seems like a thread started by the fella who ran in the shiftless panhandlers at logans roadhouse (tulsa)????

i guess since i've gotten my CCL, i've been more aware of my surroundings, and would handle a panhandler by if his/her hands were in pockets, aggressiveness, etc...

i like badgebunny's comment in the other thread, something about ... i'm not reaching for my wallet.....

http://www.virginiacops.org/articles/shooting/Combat.htm

If I am talking to someone I don't know depending on the situation I like them to be close enough to give them a good push because if they get jumpy I push or grab and sling them. It is hard for them to do anything when they are off balance it has worked in my favor every time I have had to do it because when I was younger and had to deal with folks I kept my distance and found that when a pissed off person is running at you it makes it harder to grab them and deal with them. After I got in the army and then 9/11 happened and gate guard started I had to deal with soldiers that had been drinking and when they would get a case of tough man it was easier to just be close and grab them and spin them to the ground. Same thing worked in the sandbox at checkpoints person starts getting wild grab them and toss them on the ground most people spin and land on their front which makes it easier to jump on their back and restrain them.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Most gunfights happen within 25ft, but it's a bad idea to clear leather with someone rihgt on top of you unless you have the training/experience. They could end up with your ccw.
Miss Badge Bunny had it right in one of the other threads, keep something between you and them, or keep your distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom