phantom condensate from HVAC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i noticed that my AC has been leaking a little bit of water into my garage and I got around to trying to fix it today. I located what I am pretty sure is the condensate drain tube on the exterior of the house and it was dry as a bone.. The drain pan of the air handler was pretty much full to the brim with water. I basically ran a good length of weedeater line down the drain tube at the air handler and after running maybe 10 or 15 feet or so, I found that the water in the drain pan began to drain.

But I have no idea where it went! The condensate drain tube is still bone dry....not even a drop of water coming out. Also, since I had to unclog it with weedeater line, is it possible that I have something else in there that might require professional intervention? If water isn't dripping out of the condensate drain tube, then where in the heck is it going? When I tried to stick the weedeater line in from the drain tube at the exterior of the house, I could only get it a few inches before it stopped and I can't force it through.

any ideas on what might be causing this? The unit is a Rheem if that helps.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the main drain should go to a plumbing drain probably in the hot water tank closet and the over flow pan drain should go to some place conspicuous like out side. they might have reversed them

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it is very common for a bug to get stuck in the tube or algae to grow and stop it up.
once you get it cleared out, the drain from the a-coil should have a cleanout a couple inches from the unit.
pour some clorox in the clean out and it will kill algae/clean the pipe.
most hvac guys carry an air tank to blow out those lines cause it happens all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom