Picatinny rail-mounted Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hc1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for the best light to mount underneath the hand guards of rifle with a Picatinny rail. Looking at ease of use (on/off switch), brightness, and longevity of the batteries. Thanks.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as I acquire the funds :rolleyes2 I plan on installing one of these on my Mossberg 500...

shootersgunaccessories.com_images_laserlyteshotgun.jpg

...along with one of these...

www.ammoland.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_07_Surefire_X300_Weapon_Light.jpg

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of these and really like it. It comes with the mounts to mount it on a rifle or pistol.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=178

Here are the details:

Intensely bright, virtually indestructible tactical light. Strobe model with user programmable strobe enable/disable.

Powered by two 3-volt CR123A lithium batteries with 10-year storage life
C4® LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
LED Rating: Up to 8,000 candela peak beam intensity and up to 160 lumens measured system output. Deep-dish parabolic reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination
Run Time: 2.5 hours regulated run time. Solid-state current regulation for consistent illumination level.
Rail grip clamp system securely attaches/detaches quickly and safely with no tools and without putting your hands in front of muzzle
Mounts directly to handguns with Glock-style rails and to all MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) rails.
Includes keys for Glock-style, Picatinny, Beretta 90two, S&W 99 and S&W TSW
Machined aluminum sealed construction with black anodized finish
Ambidextrous momentary/steady on-off switch, Double tap of momentary paddle within 0.4 seconds activates strobe. (TLR-1s® only)
Highly accurate sight repeatability when remounting
Weight: 4.18 oz.
Lithium Battery Notice under TECH DOCS
IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The TLR-1's are a great deal. The Surefire X300's are better, but considerably more expensive. Sign up for Tactical Daily Deals and you might be able to score a TLR-1 for less than $90 delivered. http://tacticaldailydeals.com/

As for mounting, it's best to get the light as high up on the gun as possible. 12:00 is best (usually forward of the front sight base on an AR), with 11:00 & 1:00 next best. A setup like Impact Weapons Components light mounts work very well, especially with Magpul MOE handguards. They make mounts for dedicated Surefire weaponlights like the 300 & 600, as well as for 1" diameter lights. Midwest Industries also makes a front sight base mount with rails.

Here are some of my setups:

IWC's Surefire 600 mount for the MOE handguard

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_0014.jpg

FSB mount (similar to Midwest Industries) with a 600 attached. Any rail mounted light will work on this one.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG4199.jpg

Safariland RLS light & mount attached to a picatinny top rail.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_1042.jpg

A simple weaver rail section attached to a Mossberg forend. Light is a Surefire X300.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_0002.jpg

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for mounting, it's best to get the light as high up on the gun as possible. 12:00 is best (usually forward of the front sight base on an AR), with 11:00 & 1:00 next best. A setup like Impact Weapons Components light mounts work very well, especially with Magpul MOE handguards. They make mounts for dedicated Surefire weaponlights like the 300 & 600, as well as for 1" diameter lights. Midwest Industries also makes a front sight base mount with rails.

Just out of curiosity, what makes it better if its mounted at 12:00 or on the front sight base rather than side mounted on the rail?

Latest posts

Top Bottom