Picked up a Chinese T53 tonight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
As the title says. Picked up a Chinese T53 tonight with 640 rounds of ammo. It is in pretty damn good shape I'd say. Has bayonet. No cleaning rod though.

... And I got the whole package for $250. Will post pictures later. Can anyone give me any information. I always wanted a Mosin but I know this is Chinese and short as hell. Is there any good historical value or can I redo the stock? New to these rifles....

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They definitely aren't as pricey as the other MN carbine models (such as the M44, M38 or M91/59), but T53 prices have quickly risen over the past few years (just like most milsurps). Who knows if they'll be "collectors" one day.

The one I bought had a horrible stock, no parts matched, no cleaning rod and not a lot of blueing left. So, I didn't feel bad about refinishing the wood. Still doesn't look great, but it's better.

At the end of the day, it's your rifle. They are fun to shoot...fireballs and all.

Before

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_206AA46E_c00cad87724f927dece177cf335bfcc1.jpg

After

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_9E9AF4E8_f58d66152dccdd0523b875bfee823c0d.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Along with the original poster, I just got my hands on an M38 for a very good price. I know its not as good as what they were when they first started showing up in the US, but better than most that I've seen of late. As soon as its in my hands I'll post pic's, and a range report!

P.S. If your just a little shy of recoil get yourself a good pad. I've had an M38 before, and they are a little on the stout side with recoil.

Mr. Doyle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new purchase. The T53 is the first cosmoline riddled gun I purchased. The low investment to do introduce myself to stock work was too inviting. I have done several different work-overs since then and still hold the T53 in high regard. They are a lot of fun to take out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom