Picking a freezer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
deer.png

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My recommendation is to find one from the 80’s that runs, and I will bet it will outlive whatever you buy new today.

I’ve got two small chest freezers that I bought second hand in the early 90’s, and they’re still doing great. I dread the day I have to replace them.

I agree, my parents purchased a 12cu ft chest freezer from OTASCO in 1969. Paid $160 dollars for it (I found the receipt.) It sold at their estate sale in 2020 for $150 dollars. Still running and freezing like it did in in 1969. The lid lock still worked.

Buy a chest freezer if you have the floor space. It keeps the cold in when you open the lid vs an upright freezer that looses all the cold air each time you open the door.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they have how many chickens or hogs it will hold . I tend to chop mine up as well. Please advise🤔

Actually that’s a “you might be a redneck” spoof🤣

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I typically draw down my meats in the summer as I don’t want to spend a fortune on a emergency backup system to support the house. Winter no problem.

Actually I’ve got enough pressure canning space to can 40 pounds of meat at a time if needed. This year I still have the same concept but I’m canning early since I believe meat may get expensive this winter but who knows.

My system is based on a lot of 12 v stuff that truckers and travel trailers use, very low wattage.

Some solar to keep it going, ventless space heater, a very small window unit etc. I’m going small making cool room etc.
I use a lot of propane appliances
I use crockpot, hotlogic ac and car.
I have a big Herman Munster lunch looking box that truckers use that will boil water.

It’s no accident that I have a lot of Dewalt 20v stuff that all you have to do is charge batteries.

Got to test the concept and really not to bad.

✌️out

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My recommendation is to find one from the 80’s that runs, and I will bet it will outlive whatever you buy new today.

I’ve got two small chest freezers that I bought second hand in the early 90’s, and they’re still doing great. I dread the day I have to replace them.
100% agree. I had to go replace one for my mom’s older Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) and was really disappointed with the build quality of basically everything out there. Ended up buying a smaller garage rated version. At least when it fails she won’t lose as much.

OBTW, I found her Kenmore only needed defrosted really bad, which reminds me that I need to check the drain again. Yea she has two now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom