Pictures deleted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a great description/slideshow of how to clean a gar. I've tried explaining it to people but I guess its so odd some people have trouble picturing it.

The jerky making part was very interesting, initially I was thinking you were cutting thin slices out and marinating like traditional jerky. I don't have a grinder or a food processor so I'm out of this one, well no gar either so its a moot point lol. Looks great though, maybe it'll persuade more people to eat gar. Well done! Cute doggies too!!!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks fantastic! Never tried gar before... Without the seasonings, what does gar taste like?

Sort of a mild shrimp or crab like. It has a consistency that's more like lobster tail than other fish. I had a friend that cut it up into pieces about the size of a large shrimp and used the same seasonings and coatings for fried shrimp and it was excellent. He brought it to work and had people try it without telling them what it was and everyone guessed crab, lobster or some kind of seafood.

It's a great source of food if people could get over the initial weirdness of eating something considered a "trash" fish. There are tons of gar out there so you rarely go out for gar and come back without some. I found bow fishing to be the easiest and most fun way to stock up on them but you can catch them with a fishing pole by using a piece of string or cord that's all frayed out and when a gar bites it's teeth get hung up in the string. I've only seen it done once so I don't know how good it really works, I always used a bow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom