Pistol choice question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
I haven't ever shot IDPA but in USPSA the most popular is a 2011 type followed by the Glock 34/35 then the M&P then the XD with 1911's in SS mixed in somewhere in the middle. Production class and 9mm is the 2nd most popular behind 40 s&w in limited but I feel that will change in the next few years where production will overcome limited in popularity.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I originally started shooting my 1911 in .45, but as stated, the ammo is expensive if you start to shoot a lot. So if you're not going to be reloading your own .45, then a 9mm is the way to go.

After I started shooting more, I bought a Glock 34 for myself, then a Glock 17 for my son to shoot with me. Then we bought the parts that make the Glock 34 what it is (except for the lightened slide) and put those in his 17.

It's kind of like concealed carry, it's all a matter of personal preference(s). Good luck and have fun!

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I originally started shooting my 1911 in .45, but as stated, the ammo is expensive if you start to shoot a lot. So if you're not going to be reloading your own .45, then a 9mm is the way to go.

After I started shooting more, I bought a Glock 34 for myself, then a Glock 17 for my son to shoot with me. Then we bought the parts that make the Glock 34 what it is (except for the lightened slide) and put those in his 17.

It's kind of like concealed carry, it's all a matter of personal preference(s). Good luck and have fun!

Glocks are fine weapons to be sure. I just am not fond of the grip angle. I may just get another XD in 9mm since I'm comfortable with that platform and shoot it fairly well.

Thanks!

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like ppl have said, the only problem with the XD is that you cant shoot in SSP. (wierd rule, but its a rule nontheless)

If you dont like the Glock grip angle, i would take a hard look at the M&P line. The M&P Pro is damn competitive right out of the box.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we went down this ESP class road I have a couple more questions. Is there a list that says what is in each class by manufacturer or something like that? Also are weapons like a berretta 92FS or a Sig 229 that are double action on the first shot and single action on the rest in the ESP or SSP class?

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread I did a bit of "google" research. Can someone enlighten me on what makes a springfield XD part of the ESP class and not the SSP class? I was under the impression that the XD was a "striker style" pistol much like a Glock.

They consider the XD trigger single action, So therefore ESP. As for your other questions look at the rule book. Basically, a double single will be just fine for SSP; As long as there are no aftermarket modifications such as magwells.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am getting the impression that someone from springfield ticked off IDPA at one point in time, but oh well rules are rules. Thanks for all the info guys. I never would have known my XD was ESP.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are less regulations in ESP so you may be shooting against a few more tuned guns. But honestly, the rules in ESP are still pretty tight compared to USPSA Limited or L10.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohh yeah, from what i understand most of the typical DA/SA pistols are fine for SSP, you just have to fire the first round in DA. Cant start cocked and locked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom