Pistol for bears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like justification to aquire a .50AE Desert Eagle. A double tap from that should make sure a bear doesn't mess with you again and if you run into a squad of 'em you can reload quicker than a revolver.

Verdigris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's just a retarded reply and does nothing to help the OP. There are a few of us that venture into bear country as part of our jobs every summer. It's serious business. To the OP, for your Colorado treks I'd be more then comfortable carrying your .357 but I'd also load it with a good cast core bullet. I carry the Corbon 200gr in my 2 1/2 686 when I'm in black bear country.

My most humble apologies Yukon. I missed the part where a little levity and personality was disallowed from posting in the forums. Perhaps if I had prefaced my bit of wit with the information that I received that piece of sage advice from a man who, at the time, was worried about being handed his steaming entrails by polar bears it would have made my comment more acceptable? (True story. They came to that conclusion after watching a polar bear one-arm a full grown walrus up out of the water and down onto the ice.)

Honestly, if there's no room for a single line of humor, there's a problem. So long as it's not violating the stated rules of the forums, I'll enjoy my 1A rights while discussing our 2A rights, TYVM.

Now if it will vindicate you any, to the OP: I lived for several years in CO and spent quite a few summers up in the CO Rockies when I was younger. Never saw a bear. Food there is plentiful for them generally speaking (Wild food, not hikers. ;) ) and they're very likely to leave you alone. Make reasonable noise while hiking. If you're camping, keep the food outside of your camp, don't keep your trash in camp. Unless you decide to try and sneak up on one, you shouldn't have a problem.

Oh yeah! Don't forget to file your front sight off...

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to be around bears, and plan on using bear spray, please read the sign. Pay particular attention to the last line.

View attachment 16975

Dave

Great, another comic. Is there really something in the water here in Oklahoma that just makes people stupid or what? The OP asks a serious question and he gets garbage like this in reply. I carry the UDAP brand as well as my sidearm. There is a time and a place to use it. Well worth having.

http://www.udap.com/product.htm

http://www.udap.com/testify.htm

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My most humble apologies Yukon. I missed the part where a little levity and personality was disallowed from posting in the forums. Perhaps if I had prefaced my bit of wit with the information that I received that piece of sage advice from a man who, at the time, was worried about being handed his steaming entrails by polar bears it would have made my comment more acceptable? (True story. They came to that conclusion after watching a polar bear one-arm a full grown walrus up out of the water and down onto the ice.)

Honestly, if there's no room for a single line of humor, there's a problem. So long as it's not violating the stated rules of the forums, I'll enjoy my 1A rights while discussing our 2A rights, TYVM.

Now if it will vindicate you any, to the OP: I lived for several years in CO and spent quite a few summers up in the CO Rockies when I was younger. Never saw a bear. Food there is plentiful for them generally speaking (Wild food, not hikers. ;) ) and they're very likely to leave you alone. Make reasonable noise while hiking. If you're camping, keep the food outside of your camp, don't keep your trash in camp. Unless you decide to try and sneak up on one, you shouldn't have a problem.

Oh yeah! Don't forget to file your front sight off...

Awh, somethings just got him in a bad mood. When someone asks for advice, there's got to be a little fun thrown in, otherwise it's just not any good at all. No one would take serious to file off the front sight of a perfectly good pistol!

oddball

Marksman
Reaction score
As a veteran of Colorado I would suggest a 4 inch .357 overflowing with good quality solids. As pointed out there are two legged varmints up there (growing wacky weed) that get right testy about newcomers. One of the biggest source of problems with bears is people thinking a cub is 'stuck' in a tree. Mama put the kid there, Mama will come get it and you don't want to be between them. Don't corner the animal if you can help it and don't be too proud to give up the road if necessary. Proving that you injured or killed an animal in SD is a major hassle in that state; I've seen it and it's ugly.

Have fun, exercise good judgment and common sense. You'll come back from your jaunt with a sunburn and lots of stories.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a veteran of Colorado I would suggest a 4 inch .357 overflowing with good quality solids. As pointed out there are two legged varmints up there (growing wacky weed) that get right testy about newcomers. One of the biggest source of problems with bears is people thinking a cub is 'stuck' in a tree. Mama put the kid there, Mama will come get it and you don't want to be between them. Don't corner the animal if you can help it and don't be too proud to give up the road if necessary. Proving that you injured or killed an animal in SD is a major hassle in that state; I've seen it and it's ugly.

Have fun, exercise good judgment and common sense. You'll come back from your jaunt with a sunburn and lots of stories.

Excellent!

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taurus tracker in 44 is fairly light. Its a 5 shot. Mine is fairly accurate and very controllable. You can also find them for under $400. I got one for my brother who does a lot of bow hunting in bear country.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn! I want to party with you.

There's a time to party and then there's a time to be serious. When it comes to bears in the wild I take that serioulsy. Otherwise I'd have been dead a long, long time ago. On Saturday nights in July and August we can all get together and party at the Arctic Bar.

http://www.arcticbar.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom