Pistol for bears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a time to party and then there's a time to be serious. When it comes to bears in the wild I take that serioulsy. Otherwise I'd have been dead a long, long time ago. On Saturday nights in July and August we can all get together and party at the Arctic Bar.

http://www.arcticbar.com/

Well, the chances of a bear attacking any of us here on the forum is pretty slim, soooooo......take it easy Francis.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am from Washington (State) and went to Canada on several occasions and have had many experiences with bears. Most smell you coming and avoid you. Survival experts teach people to make loud noises as you hike. I know preparation is key, but I think you are over preparing. Take your .44 mag and feel safe. I think if you were packing a gun you thought was a bear killer, you could get over confident. I wouldn't want to be charged by a bear carrying any handgun. They are quick moving targets.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I might be inclined to carry my 4" .45LC Redhawk full of hardcast, if only to make myself feel better. I don't any spend time in bear country, but as it is it often accompanies me in the woods with hollowpoints. No, it is not light.

I'd say you're fine with your .357. Colorado is not high on the bears eatin' people list for the number of tourists it gets. Most of their bears are the overgrown raccoon type. And if I were really in hairy beary country, I'd want spray and a long gun. You're fine with what you have unless you just want a cool gun. Nobody here will fault you for that if that's the case. Do I need this gun in NE Oklahoma? No. But I wanted it.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TdRqwDzCkgI_AAAAAAAABsQ_T4VN8kl6_AQ_s720_033.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__vlrMVh36fdY_TdRqMk_LM0I_AAAAAAAABsM_7_nOwm96_kw_s720_027.JPG

Oh, and Yukon is always in a bad mood. Us dumb Okies made him that way.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the chances of a bear attacking any of us here on the forum is pretty slim, soooooo......take it easy Francis.

The OP didn't ask anything about makin' red dirt mud pies. He asked about carrying a .357 for bear defense. Unless you've been charged or attacked I wouldn't expect you to take it seriously.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize that in your previous life that you were a bear wrestler.

You wouldn't believe it unless you saw the video. I prefer to be a bear whisperer though. It works a lot better. Especially when you've got clients with you that want good photo ops. It increases the tip potential greatly.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe it unless you saw the video. I prefer to be a bear whisperer though. It works a lot better. Especially when you've got clients with you that want good photo ops. It increases the tip potential greatly.

We wouldn't believe it if we did see the video. Remember, according to you, we're just stupid Okies.

I'm starting to think you woke up on the wrong side of the cave when you came out of hibernation...

Latest posts

Top Bottom