Pistol for bears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lived and hunted in Alaska back in the late 70's for two years. Back then most of the guides would not carry a handgun but a 12 guage with slugs/buck shot. Summertime berry pickers would pack along a 44 and make lots of noise.

I have hunted Colorado and New Mexico for a dozen years in 80's and 90's. Never saw a bear. IIRC Colorado does not even have any Grizzlies unless one from up further north comes into the state. Black bears come in all colors not just back.

The lower Redhawk in 45LC is packable and probably what I would carry If I felt the need.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00225.jpg

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No griz in Colorado??? you have to go to Wyoming to get into griz country. I lived there for 5 years, traveled 250,000+ miles while there. Fished 2 or 3 days a week, spent I don't know how many days hunting and scouting, spent around 100 nights in the back country(mountians) in a tent, and I've seen 3 black bears in Colorado. There are more bears in the SW part of the state, and I spent most of my time in the northern half of the state. I would take a fly rod and an extra box of flies, not a gun. I worried a LOT more about mountain lions while I was there. You won't know they are around until he's hanging on your back. Just pay attention to what's going on around you. It is a good excuse to buy a new hand gun if you want to, buy something you can use here too. I was more inclined to carry a 22 to shoot grouse so we could eat mountain chicken while on a pack trip. My choice a S&W 2213, light weight "chicken" gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom