Playing with the 44 Mag CVA Hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago, I got a wild hair, and purchased a CVA Hunter in 44 Mag. It's a single-shot, break action. ~20" barrel, 1:20 twist. I figured with that faster twist I could shoot heavier projectiles, so, why not ? It'll go with my 44Mag handgun(s).
Here's a pic.
CVA Hunter 44Mag w scope (Custom).jpeg

It came with the scope mount/rings. I found an older (El Paso build) Weaver 4x to put on it.

I don't know why, but I decided to shoot some of the mild handloads I use to keep up practice on the Ruger SBH's (yeah, right.... I need to shoot them more. I won't even show the targets.)
I had some old Missouri Bullet 240gr truncated cone lead left over, so I loaded up some with 10.5gr HS-6. This gives me right at 1000fps from a SBH Hunter with 7.5" Bbl.

50 yards - first shot at top, adjust scope, 11 more shots. That's a 3 inch orange sticker.
CVA Hunter 50yds 240gr 10.5gr HS6 (Custom).jpeg

Not bad, for what it is.

75yds. The round was moving so slowly, I could hear each hit. BANG.....THWAP....
CVA Hunter 75yds 240gr 10.5gr HS6 (Custom).jpeg

The horizontal dispersion I figured was me, but more on that...

The round at the very top - I had a piece of FC brass I dug out of a mudhole. Being the frugal person I am, I washed it, cleaned it up best I could, and loaded it. That hole at the top is fired from that cartridge.
When I saw the flier, I looked at the brass -
Cracked 44Mag brass #2 (Custom).jpeg

I think I got all the good outa that one....

As for the horizontal stringing, I figured it was me. As I was running patches down the barrel, I heard some clunking.
Turns out the scope mount was loose, the top of the scope was rocking about 1/8" left and right.
I pulled the scope, pulled the base screws (which weren't even finger tight), put a drop of clear fingernail polish on the screws, bolted it back up.

maybe it wasn't me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom