Pleasant knife-related surprise when taking The Boy fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took my 10 y/o fishing on the 4th. We went out early, about 0830, to a friend's pond that had not been fished in years. He had little experience with fishing, essentially a couple of kids' tournaments at a local pond/small lake that was somewhat fun but essentially disappointing with minimal action.

So I let out an internal groan when he managed 3 small bass on his first 3 casts. I was afraid it was going to end up a long morning. Fulfilling for The Boy, who would love catching all the fish, but tough for me pulling hooks constantly. Luckily, after the first 4 or 5, I told him he was on his own, and he did really well! Beyond that point, he managed to catch-and-release all of his own. (We don't eat fish in my house)

It was a great morning, we were only out about an hour-and-a-half, but we quit after they slowed down biting after he had pulled 20(!) and I got 8 or 9... I was using a bigger jig, and all the bass were from 8-12". No big ones, obviously the pond needs to be thinned a bit, but either way, he had a great time - and so did I, watching him catch so many fish and be so excited.

Anyways... the knife issue. I have lost several high-dollar knives over the last 3-4 years, including several Benchmades and my sweet baby, a Zero Tolerance ZT 350. At that point, I've sworn off high-dollar carry knives and now carry almost exclusively one of three Kershaw Clash knives I've picked up and am very happy with...

So, while I was digging through the tackle box, I found a knife - my old ZT350! I haven't seen it in at least year, maybe longer! I thought I had lost it, but apparently, it was hiding safely in the tackle box! I know we went fishing in May at the kids' tournament, but I didn't get to look deeply into the box, and it seems it was hiding there!

I'm stoked, I've got my baby back... but I'm still not sure I'll spend a lot of money on knives in the future, apparently I don't keep up with them very well. lol

So anyways.... that's my story. Cool story, bro, huh? lol Yay me!

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I surprise myself like that about once a year - finding something I lost or forgot where I hid it. Drives me crazy when I realized I hid something and can't find it!

rightside

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure does suck that you had to help your son have fun. Bummer for you. And you guys don't even eat fish! What is the matter with that boy. I'm sure glad you were able to save the day for yourself by finding that knife! How very wonderful for YOU! :clap3:

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure does suck that you had to help your son have fun. Bummer for you. And you guys don't even eat fish! What is the matter with that boy. I'm sure glad you were able to save the day for yourself by finding that knife! How very wonderful for YOU! :clap3:

I think you missed the OP's sarcasm

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what that was about... I groaned thinking he was going to be pulling fish on every cast and I was going to have to get them all off the hook - thus leaving no chance for me to fish WITH him, simply being his "de-hooking service". When I told him he was "on his own" that meant I showed him how to get the hooks out and he was able to fish independently for the rest of the time, casting, hooking, releasing, everything. While I cast and fished alongside him.

Damn dude... chillax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom