Pmags or Surplus mags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better? Pmags or metal?

• Pmags

Votes: 72 56.7%
  • Metal, surplus or new

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • They are both equal.

Votes: 34 26.8%

• Total voters

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of polymer mags for my AR platform.
I don't know why, I'm thinking it might be because I've been burned in the past.

This weekend got me thinking though.

I got to use several Pmags side by side with metal mags and I have to admit, I like the Pmags.

So, which is better and why?

Dave

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you are right about past plastic mags being junk. A lot of people though that Thermolds were good...until they tried them. However PMags are a different animal. Ive never had a problem with any of them. As far as metal mags..USGI surplus are always a good buy. Ive always had pretty good luck with those as well.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My preference is a GI magazine with a magpul self leveling follower. Some lower receivers, Noveske, are not compatible with the Magpul M3 with over travel stop. I have had trouble positively seating a full magazine on a closed bolt.

With the GI's I don't have any issues.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are suitable/equal assuming they both are serviceable and if the GI mags have the current mil anti tilt or magpul followers.
My personal preference are pmags, only because the "rattle" of GI mags annoys me.

As ASP said above, this may not be the case with certain lowers. I assume he is referring to the Noveske gen 2 models with gen 3 pmags. If we are speaking about your run of the mill mil spec forged lowers then it really comes down to personal preference.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Some lower receivers, Noveske, are not compatible with the Magpul M3 with over travel stop. I have had trouble positively seating a full magazine on a closed bolt...

Are you referring to a low S/N Noveske GEN 2/FFL lower? My understanding is that Noveske made changes after the issue was discovered. The two I have do not have the issue but are recent production.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you referring to a low S/N Noveske GEN 2/FFL lower? My understanding is that Noveske made changes after the issue was discovered. The two I have do not have the issue but are recent production.

Yes, I should have been more specific. I believe both POF and Noveske fixed the issue with the trigger guard fitment and Magpul overtravel stop in their current production runs. I don't know if other 'billet' style lowers have the problem as well.

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've been "collecting" GI mags for 30 years and have never had much problems with them (as long as the feed lips are in good condition )
i do have 2 Pmags, still in wrapper, just to say i have them

Latest posts

Top Bottom