Poll about allowing suppressors for hunting purposes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allow suppressors in Oklahoma for hunting purposes

• Yes allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 254 84.1%
  • No don't allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 48 15.9%

• Total voters

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Incorrect. Look at the video in my last post. They shoot subsonic .308 through a very nice can and it still meters 126dB. The full power .338LM only registers 127-128dB through a .338 can.

A 168gr .308 sub sonic has a power factor of 176. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking anything larger than a coyote with one. A bullet will most likely have poor terminal performance in a larger animal like a deer. I just wouldn't trust it.

Sub-sonic=no breaking of sound barrier=no sonic crack. Must be a poor can. Have faith in a quality bullet and shot placement will do wonders. works for me.:teach:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sub-sonic=no breaking of sound barrier=no sonic crack. Must be a poor can. Have faith in a quality bullet and shot placement will do wonders. works for me.:teach:

Not a bad can, it is just what it is. My 9mm and can is around 125-130dB subsonic.

What bullet in .308 is designed to perform in a hunting application under 1100 feet per second? I'm not saying it won't kill, a .22LR can kill a deer. I owe it to the animal to use the best means necessary to make our encounter as painless as possible for it.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a bad can, it is just what it is. My 9mm and can is around 125-130dB subsonic.

What bullet in .308 is designed to perform in a hunting application under 1100 feet per second? I'm not saying it won't kill, a .22LR can kill a deer. I owe it to the animal to use the best means necessary to make our encounter as painless as possible for it.

With low velocity a "big game" bullet probably would'nt be ideal, however I wouldn't doubt that the Failsafe or TSX would still perform adequately. However the 110gr v-max and the 125gr TNT are good choices since their terminal ballistics are "explosive" they can tend to perform more like a "big game" bullet at low velocity.:chat:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you just guessing or do you have anything to back this up? Also, the lighter the bullet gets the harder it is to keep sub sonic. Most if not all manufactured sub sonic .308 is 168gr and up. Most guys that load sub sonic .308 also use 168s and heavier because they can keep them slow.

Plus a 100 grain bullet at 1050 fps has a power factor of 105. That is less than my sub sonic 9mm.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With low velocity a "big game" bullet probably would'nt be ideal, however I wouldn't doubt that the Failsafe or TSX would still perform adequately. However the 110gr v-max and the 125gr TNT are good choices since their terminal ballistics are "explosive" they can tend to perform more like a "big game" bullet at low velocity.:chat:

I have to admit I know nothing except what hollywood says about cans, but bullets and terminal ballistics are my thing. I specialize in deer autopsies:D
I might have to agree that at lower velocities a Varmint type bullet that is supposed to disintegrate at hi velocities would perform better on bigger game at low velocities.
I have shot deer with varmint rounds, and they all died, but had no exit wound. Most were hyper velocity rounds in 22.250 and .243WSSM using .55 grain bullets exceeding 4000FPS.
At 300 + ranges I got a complete pass thru. Less than that, just lead dust, and copper jacket fragments with no exit wound.
Dead is dead though.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to admit I know nothing except what hollywood says about cans, but bullets and terminal ballistics are my thing. I specialize in deer autopsies:D
I might have to agree that at lower velocities a Varmint type bullet that is supposed to disintegrate at hi velocities would perform better on bigger game at low velocities.
I have shot deer with varmint rounds, and they all died, but had no exit wound. Most were hyper velocity rounds in 22.250 and .243WSSM using .55 grain bullets exceeding 4000FPS.
At 300 + ranges I got a complete pass thru. Less than that, just lead dust, and copper jacket fragments with no exit wound.
Dead is dead though.

Interesting. I've never shot anything big with the lighter bullets. I want to see some good pics and details of your AR-.243WSSM. I love my 25WSSM A-Bolt and have been contemplating an AR build around the round.

That said, most people loading sub sonic ammunition are going after the heavier bullets for each caliber not the lighter bullets.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Oklahoma should adopt the policies of Arkansas. You can hunt with full-automatic, suppressed rifles if you really want. You just cannot use any full metal jacket bullets.

I do not think I would ever try to hunt with a full-automatic rifle. However, I believe if you've the money to buy one and want to hunt with it, then you should be able to do so, same thing with a suppressor.

I find it interesting that people want to talk about how we, as citizens, give away rights to own certain guns and gun-related items. However, they do not seem to have a problem with restrictions on the use of these items. If you are able to own them but not really able to do much with them then there does not seem to be a big reason to own them, to me.

I say we need no restrictions on ownership and no restrictions on use of all guns and guns-related items, full-auto's and suppressors included!!!! We need to keep fighting until we get them!!! Will it ever happen? Probably not. However, we need to fight every chance we can to get back everything we have given up in the past!! Hopefully if a bill comes before the state legislature, then it will be passed!

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean you're not sure what point I'm trying to make?

First of all, being in the pit on a range like the high power range is completely safe.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what distances you're shooting there is still a 150dB sonic boom that travels with the bullet.

Thirdly, your friends telling you "The report is next to nothing" means nothing.

In actuality, the report at the shooter's ear is around 130-140dB on a suppressed centerfire rifle. That's loud. According to OSHA the exposure limit for impulse noise is 140dB. A suppressor offers no advantage to the hunter over the game while maintaining safety to the shooters hearing.

Here is a video of 338LM being knocked down to below 130dB. Notice the sonic crack that travels down range. This will alert any game that isn't completely deaf and allows the shooter to hear naturally and safely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rsilvers#p/u/33/jHPqrJDyVrc

http://www.youtube.com/user/rsilvers#p/u/33/jHPqrJDyVrc

Dustin

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about suppressors used for hunting as I stated, not range shooting.I understand what you are saying on the noise.My point is won't they still be better than nothing at all? Your statement of "the report is next to nothing means nothing" doesn't make sense to me either.It would mean alot in a hunting situation.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about suppressors used for hunting as I stated, not range shooting.I understand what you are saying on the noise.My point is won't they still be better than nothing at all? Your statement of "the report is next to nothing means nothing" doesn't make sense to me either.It would mean alot in a hunting situation.

The report is next to nothing has no quantity, it is subjective. It doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm not saying anything about a range, you are..... The range is the only place you can really hear what a bullet sounds like. It sounds like a 150dB crack at the range. That means it probably sound like a 150dB crack in the woods too. I fail to see what the confusion is here.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The report is next to nothing has no quantity, it is subjective. It doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm not saying anything about a range, you are..... The range is the only place you can really hear what a bullet sounds like. It sounds like a 150dB crack at the range. That means it probably sound like a 150dB crack in the woods too. I fail to see what the confusion is here.

I sent you a pm

Latest posts

Top Bottom