Poll about allowing suppressors for hunting purposes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allow suppressors in Oklahoma for hunting purposes

• Yes allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 254 84.1%
  • No don't allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 48 15.9%

• Total voters

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People don't get CLEO signatures, fingerprints, background checks, 6 month waits, and 200 dollar stamps to commit crimes. If I was going to poach deer I dang sure wouldn't try to do it with a legally owned suppressor. Way too much hassle. And idiots are going to be idiots with a silencer or not. You're still going to hear the bullet before you hear the shot.

dammechanic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what i have gathered from this thread

Benefits of hunting with a suppressor

Reduced recoil
Better accuracy
Reduces hearing damage
Less noise pollution
And may even help with the fourth or fifth follow up shot.

Cons

Poaching
Grandpa will laugh at us
And I like to hear the sonic boom followed by the report of the rifle so I know which way to run

It is my belief that no self respecting poacher will go through all the red tape and pay a $200 tax just to get a suppressor. They do not even put in the time and effort to take game legally.

Some of you guys sound like anti’s blaming poaching on suppressor just like they blame crime on guns.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People don't get CLEO signatures, fingerprints, background checks, 6 month waits, and 200 dollar stamps to commit crimes. If I was going to poach deer I dang sure wouldn't try to do it with a legally owned suppressor. Way too much hassle. And idiots are going to be idiots with a silencer or not. You're still going to hear the bullet before you hear the shot.

+1 I am all for it.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I travel and teach in Europe quite extensivly, and there are places that REQUIER suppressors, for any shooting! It is considered polite to NOT bother neighbors. I absolutely love giving a rifle calss WITHOUT hearing protection!

I htink we need to sell this thing wiht the thoughts that the hunters hearing won't be damaged, and that the general population won't be bothered ( after all Hunting isn't that popular any more). And we get a better quality of hunter....Background check etc..... NOT that any hunter is of low quality...we are selling a perception! Kurt..I use a suppressor to hunt hogs in Tx all the time M.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the idea of supressors for hog hunting. Pigs are not the smartest animals in the world, might be able to make a bigger dent in their population.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy that lives in Katy Tx, on the edge of town around some rice fields. They dove hunt the heck out of it with guides. They used barrel extensions with the same thread as a choke tube, and they were much quieter. Kind of wierd looking with two more foot of barrel, but it worked. I came back to Ok and talked to a couple of machinist about it, and in no time they made one. It was about 40% quieter, but we quickly found out that even that is against regulations in OK. We talked to a game ranger about it, and its strictly a no-no. I believe it even mentions barrel extensions in the regs. I'll have to do a search and make sure, so don't quote me on that.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it funny some posts in this thread do not seem to understand some of the concepts of a suppressor and what it really does. Just having a suppressor on your rifle does not mean it will be quiet like the movies, folks!!! Suppressor just divert and re-route gases to reduce the pressure and noise from a shot.

I would bet most people, who will hunt with a suppressor, will go buy some commerically available ammo or reload full power ammo and shoot that. Guess what? That bullet will still give off a report from breaking the sonic barrier. So save the "I want to hear a report so I know where the shots are coming from" comments cause you will still hear the shot.

If someone really wants to get the most out of a suppressor, they will need to reload subsonic ammunition or find someone who is selling subsonic ammo (not alot of it available on the retail markets). This will severely limit the range, energy, and stopping power of the bullet. On top of that if the person does not test their loads without the suppressor first, they run the chance of the bullet not being stabilized at the load they are using and destroying their suppressor. Once they do that, they would have wasted all that time and money on getting one. If they were to get that one repaired or another one, I bet they would go back to commercially available ammo, which means you will hear their shots still.

Still do not understand gun owners wanting to own certain guns or gun accessories but taking restrictions on exactly how they can be used. If you do not want to use them or do not see the logic behind them, it does not mean numerous other people do not. You are just helping the liberals pit us against each other to slowly strip more gun rights away. We compromised once, and they took some rights. We compromised again, and they took some more. Eventually, we won't have to compromise anything because we won't have any rights. Our founding fathers did not put restrictions on what can be done with a gun besides killing people and even that was not very strict back then. You feel you might endanger your life by hunting on public land, don't go. I recommend you also not driving a car because you could have a wreck and get injured!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it funny some posts in this thread do not seem to understand some of the concepts of a suppressor and what it really does.

You can find it funny if you want. I don't. There are people on this thread that have never had a supressor, and have not considered them in the past as they don't understand what one will do for them.
I for one, posted That I know nothing about them but am willing to learn, and you come on like a jerk and find that funny? That is a really good way to show your elitist contempt for others that may be wanting to learn. Screw you!

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can find it funny if you want. I don't. There are people on this thread that have never had a supressor, and have not considered them in the past as they don't understand what one will do for them.
I for one, posted That I know nothing about them but am willing to learn, and you come on like a jerk and find that funny? That is a really good way to show your elitist contempt for others that may be wanting to learn. Screw you!

I see why you reacted so interesting to my post. Your post on the bottom of Page 7 talking about only knowing what Hollywood says about suppressors being the only thing you are familiar with. Funny thing is I did not even see your post on Page 7 until I went back to read just your posts in this thread.

Even better is I was not referring to any of your posts when I posted what I did. I was referring mainly to Ttown's post worrying about shot report while out hunting. You can take it personally if you want but I was not referring to you at all. However, the information posted is still valid and at least I just wasn't a "jerk" and show "elitist contempt" without giving information.

Don't take things so personal, it is just the INTERNETZ!!!

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't do it my self primarily cause I dont want to buy,license and get permission of good ole revenoors.
DOesnt mean I would want to stop any body else who would.
THe silencers have been long denigrated as a mafia type control.
Heck, it would make it easier for me to deal with squirls in my back yard without upsetting the whole neighborhood.......but than again there are cbcaps for that

added=====they must be maintained with regular maintance or they will be shot out.
X number of rounds will wear em out anyway. local swat has two mp5 silenced and are now on their second set.

Latest posts

Top Bottom