Possible longer gun season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd prefer 1 buck and no ARs but I would take ARs over the way it is now.

My county (Cherokee) gets absolutely hammered. Often right behind giant Osage county in harvest. Anything to let bucks make it through their most vulnerable year and reach 2.5 would radically change areas like mine.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd prefer 1 buck and no ARs but I would take ARs over the way it is now.

My county (Cherokee) gets absolutely hammered. Often right behind giant Osage county in harvest. Anything to let bucks make it through their most vulnerable year and reach 2.5 would radically change areas like mine.
Real question because I was thinking of using an AR this year with 75gr. BTHP Hornady Black ammo.

Why no ARs? ...High capacity?... Low ethical kill rates?...???

BTW...I haven't deer hunted in over thirty years so I don't remember what I don't know about deer hunting. [emoji16]

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against antler restrictions.

If it's herd management, yes more people need to harvest more doe's and how about opening every day of the firearms season instead of certain "zones" are only open to doe harvest on the weekends.

Also, wouldn't mind an extended primitive arms season. Maybe allow straight wall cartridge's also, like some of the Midwestern states do for their shotgun/muzzleloader seasons. This way more hunters can have more opportunities and be out in the woods longer as not everyone hunts archery season.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
If ODWC is truly concerned with numbers and wants at least 40% or greater of the yearly harvest to be does(which doesn't happen) shut down the taking of any antlered deer for two seasons the reevaluate. Better yet, just make it an actual buck and doe season, not a antlered and antlerless season. If it's got doo dads, sorry buddy, be more sure of your target next time. Just like the extreme decrease in the turkey population in NW OK, it's not isolated and has been going on for years, close tona decade if not more, yet the season and bag limits stay the same. Someone is dropping the ball big time on that one. Ks this year is imposing and reduction in turkey limits, after only a recent decline in numbers.........they've gotnthe hog problem figured out up there also if anyone is interested in solving that issue too. Game Wardens, you are fantastic and do our state a great service, some of the rest of the bunch down there, I wonder about sometimes.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
--They get a lot of pressure from outfitters for longer seasons so that outfitters can sell more hunts plain and simple.
--Bigger bag limits would only increase harvest by a small percentage of the number of hunters in the field. (Most hunters don't tag out antlerless, which has the biggest affect on slowing population growth.)
--It is real tough to please everyone.
--If the regulations (seasons, bag limits, and legal means of harvest) are based on proven research, and biologically sound for the conservation of game, I have no complaint. If the regulations are changed because of lobbying, or to profit a small percentage of people and could be detrimental to the conservation efforts, I will be first to complain.
That is summed up exactly the way I feel. Outfitter people are showing up to ODWC meetings more and more in the state.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking to those of you that want antler restrictions, would you be happy to know that you may be taking food from my freezer?
I'm not a trophy hunter like some of you are or those that are outfitters.
I've never been fortunate enough to hunt a place where you would say there is a deer herd.
The spot I have, usually the deer coming thru the area are less than 5 or 6 at a time.
& never more than 2 bucks in the little group. I can't be picky.
If there are antler restrictions, then the years that I have had a antler tag, & have never seen more than a couple fork horns the entire season, & I'm sitting in the field on the last day with an hour or less of light left & a fork horn or small 5 point comes into range, & I say to myself "this is what God is giving me" "It's take it now or go home with nothing" & I take it, then I would be in violation & it would be an illegal harvest. Cause this has happened to me more than a couple times. I'm not for that, at all.
Maybe just outfitters & lease hunters should have the restrictions, but not those of of that are still fortunate to hunt on a friends or family members private land.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking to those of you that want antler restrictions, would you be happy to know that you may be taking food from my freezer?
I'm not a trophy hunter like some of you are or those that are outfitters.
I've never been fortunate enough to hunt a place where you would say there is a deer herd.
The spot I have, usually the deer coming thru the area are less than 5 or 6 at a time.
& never more than 2 bucks in the little group. I can't be picky.
If there are antler restrictions, then the years that I have had a antler tag, & have never seen more than a couple fork horns the entire season, & I'm sitting in the field on the last day with an hour or less of light left & a fork horn or small 5 point comes into range, & I say to myself "this is what God is giving me" "It's take it now or go home with nothing" & I take it, then I would be in violation & it would be an illegal harvest. Cause this has happened to me more than a couple times. I'm not for that, at all.
Maybe just outfitters & lease hunters should have the restrictions, but not those of of that are still fortunate to hunt on a friends or family members private land.
Ok, Ok, I get that not everyone is a “trophy hunter”, but in my opinion, Oklahoma is pretty generous with the number of deer they allow hunters. I may be wrong, but the way I read the law you can kill SIX deer total but no more than two bucks. Again unless I’m misunderstanding, you can fill all six tags with does. If this is right, why do you need to kill that fork horn buck just for meat when you could just kill another doe?!?:scratch:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ok, Ok, I get that not everyone is a “trophy hunter”, but in my opinion, Oklahoma is pretty generous with the number of deer they allow hunters. I may be wrong, but the way I read the law you can kill SIX deer total but no more than two bucks. Again unless I’m misunderstanding, you can fill all six tags with does. If this is right, why do you need to kill that fork horn buck just for meat when you could just kill another doe?!?:scratch:

Not answering for Mr.T by any means but I've had this discussion with several guys over the years. All have answered about the same with
-limited time to hunt
-limited places to hunt
-a ding dong goofy 1.5yo or 2.5yo buck is almost always the first one at the corn pile no matter the time of the season, the least wary, and the most likly to be up traveling during gun season, even when there's heavy hunting pressure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom