Post apocalypse locations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you get snipered first... ;)

Oh, there's ALWAYS "that" guy. I know one -- he's overweight, smokes like a ****ing freight train, has all kinds of health problems -- and fancies himself a high speed, low drag sorta guy. Makes it sound like his "rural property" is a prepper's oasis -- it's a ****ing dump. Overrun with weeds and beer cans. :rolleyes2 And he's gonna loot and pillage. Real legend in his own mind. So ... many ... idiots.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take that chance.
I'm damn sure not gonna spend thousands of dollars on crap I won't ever use on the off chance apocalypse happens though. You guys go ahead and stock up, then talk about how much you have on the internet.

I live close to a Wal-mart, a Reasors (non-tulsa people its like an IGA, but a bit fancier) and Bass Pro. If its a super virus that wipes out scores of people I have instant access to almost everything I need. If its a zombie apocalypse, my family and I, plus a few select friends, will take over a wal-mart and stay there as long as we can. Anything else (WWIII, Nuclear War, etc) there isn't much you can do unless you have millions of dollars just laying around. At that point will just take my family into the nearest woods and do the best we can.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's my dilemma, I live in the burbs. I've got maybe 1/8th of an acre in land on my plot (plot size minus house) that I could use for a garden. I would have to remove one good size tree, cut out all the cable, phone, electric and gas lines, and I doubt I would have enough room to garden enough to last over the winter. Not to mention no pump for water and with there being a ton of stray dogs and cats, too many predators in one area to find small game. My tentative plan would be to honker down for a few weeks, then hit the road. I would convert my work van (a Mercedes Benz Sprinter, so plenty of room) by taking out all the cable stuff, leave one shelf and make room for sleeping. Then gather what supplies I could and take my family somewhere else. Gas wouldn't be a problem, would use a suction pump at gas stations. It would take a while unless I could get one that does a gallon per pump. That or use an air compressor driven suction pump (van does have a 1,000 watt inverter). Just wondering if it would be better to head north, go to a coastline, etc. I know I wouldn't want to go west, nothing really there until you get past the rocky mountains and then your locked up against the west coast.
A few problems...
1. If your plan is to hunker down a few weeks, you'll find that others have already had the same idea. Best to store about 30 gallons at your current place, and keep your van topped off.

2. Heading as far as the coast, you'll likely get caught and robbed. At the very least, if you manage to get around blocked roads, you van will likely get shot up along with everyone inside. Best to bug out a few days before hand. After the SHTF, it will be about a week before food runs out in the cities. People will leave and take to the roads. All of them tired and hungry from walking and no food. And along comes your in your van. Tempting target

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take that chance.
I'm damn sure not gonna spend thousands of dollars on crap I won't ever use on the off chance apocalypse happens though. You guys go ahead and stock up, then talk about how much you have on the internet.
That’s why I spend thousands of dollars on night vision and thermal equipment. It’s stuff that’s fun to use now and will be a significant advantage if TEOTWAWKI happens. If you can’t fight at night, you can’t fight.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And food is not the real problem, you could go practically a week without food, water on the other hand is a very significant problem. 2 to 3 days and the shark will have jumped. If you and you immediate family can hold a 30K sq ft building filled with stuff people need I'd be impressed.

I agree, moving before a fall is key. 30 hrs to the north west. Less to other coasts, but what to do on arrival? They have greater populations, more immediate supply chains, and significantly less ability to do things for themselves.

Really depends on the threat in my opinion.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few problems...
1. If your plan is to hunker down a few weeks, you'll find that others have already had the same idea. Best to store about 30 gallons at your current place, and keep your van topped off.

2. Heading as far as the coast, you'll likely get caught and robbed. At the very least, if you manage to get around blocked roads, you van will likely get shot up along with everyone inside. Best to bug out a few days before hand. After the SHTF, it will be about a week before food runs out in the cities. People will leave and take to the roads. All of them tired and hungry from walking and no food. And along comes your in your van. Tempting target

That's assuming that the population levels were to remain as it is now. However, in a virus or zombie scenerio a massive chunk of the population would be destroyed, making contact with other individuals a lot less likely. Second, I thought about that. This is why I have been learning to pick locks, and if that fails I know how to use an acetylene torch and a plasma cutter. I know where the nearest NG vehicle storage is, and I know that my local PD has at least one APC. Besides, one of the first things I would gather would be guns and ammo from Bass Pro (less than a block away from me). Not to mention what I already have on hand. Of course this is assuming neither I nor my family contracted the virus or got caught up initially in the zombie rush.

As to what I would do? First, I wouldn't head to a city, I would look for a Rural area and find either an abandoned farm or a farm with survivors and work out a way to trade labor for the ability to build a house and live there. I'm not completely ignorant on farming, though I would probably ransack a book store and get everything that describes farming techniques, particularly old school methods using livestock instead of modern machinery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom