Pre Rut still? Or has it started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We were expecting the winds do die off before this weekend and had planned on trying a quail run, but it doesn't look like that's happening. We will most likely be in the blind Saturday morning instead. 20mph winds are just too high to scare quail up, much less get a good shot.

The winds are going to play hell for hunting. Luckily, they will be to my advantage for my favorite blind. They are calling for 18mph winds, which translates to under 10mph in the draw where I will be. This is the last weekend before the gun nuts (me included) come out. Last peaceful weekend.

Sunday we're setting up for turkey since the winds are coming down and we have a large group hanging out in the front 20 acres this last week. We're gonna try and get thanksgiving bird.

Go enjoy it in the woods!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buck to kiss the Z on my Z71 this morning.

Driving to work @ 6:30am, I topped a hill getting close to town. I only had time to let off the gas, I didnt swerve, keep it straight. I just knew he hit that back of my truck.

When I got to work, you could only see streaking nose print starting at the Z and swiping off the back of the truck.

I guess we both got lucky today.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a decent 8 point come through this morning at 9am. He looked like a2.5 year old. He ate for a few minutes then got downwind of me. I had estrous scent under my stand. He sniffed a bit, raked a tree, then zig zagged up the hill to the property line and followed it North. He was cruising for sure.

i1276.photobucket.com_albums_y474_makeithappenoutdoors_20131115_090537_zpsf086365e.jpg

i1276.photobucket.com_albums_y474_makeithappenoutdoors_20131115_090552_zps9bcde56e.jpg

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking forward to this weekend. I don't think the wind will matter much for the deer this weekend. Tuesday it was blowing strongly from the North. Lots of Deer movement. I am hunting in Western Canadian county. Will be a strong south wind this weekend, so it won't feel so cold. Wednesday morning the closest Mesonet site to me had 13 degrees, feels like 6 when I woke up. When I hit the stand at 6:05, it was a 19, felt like 11. I have noticed this season that on some real nice calm mornings, my sightings have been down over the windy ones. Helps cover the movement to get the long bow drawn too. Good luck this weekend guys!!

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in a stand this morning in Major Co. STRONG south wind at my back. Saw a few groups yesterday evening and two on my way to the stand. This is my first year with a crossbow. Should be interesting but I won't be able to go next weekend so it will have to do!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in a stand this morning in Major Co. STRONG south wind at my back. Saw a few groups yesterday evening and two on my way to the stand. This is my first year with a crossbow. Should be interesting but I won't be able to go next weekend so it will have to do!

This is god honest, Looking out for your well being advice. Get that wind off your back and in your face. Otherwise it may be a tough hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
makeithappen that's a very good young buck like to see what he will look like in 3 more years,i bet he is going to have some unreal mass

That's what I'm hoping for as well, however, this is only 40 acres and the farmer and his son deer hunt as well. Plus, there's a huge hunting lease to the north about 1/4 mile. I can only hope he somehow get's a chance to show that potential.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out in the 75 degree, 30 plus mph winds today, movement was nonexistent in my area, all I saw was 1 black hog this evening, long boring windy day. Maybe tomorrow, although the weather is not supposed to be much better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom