Pre Rut still? Or has it started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
did not see anything south of ponca last night. the seismic crews have been through there setting up and picking up equipment. they used atv's, four wheel drives and helicopters in the really thick stuff. I guess they spooked most of the deer out. seismic stakes ran right through the quarter we hunt. I did hear 4 or so shots in the last 20 minutes though.

a guy from work took a nice 8 out by sweetwater last night. he saw 3 decent bucks. all were trailing does but the does were not interested. at least some of em still have their heads in their pants! there may be a few days left.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
saw a huge buck tonight right at 535pm, he came in looking and crossed the trail I watched him, wind in my face and he froze behind some sticks for about a minute and then quickly trotted off the way he came blowing his head off...wtf! first shooter all year and a very very nice one at that. I am so upset Sh*T Sh*T Shi*t, I checked cameras, one crapped out the other on that side had does coming in at last light the last three days, and then I have small bucks eating together at 1130am for a long time.. so something is changing for sure, don't know if they are preparing for the winter storm or if they are taking a break from pumping and a sweatn!

That sux brother. I have a feeling you may get another chance at him.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
first day of season seen the big ten I was after tending a doe and chasing off small bucks second and third day seen a little chasing after that every buck I have seen which isn't many they were eating not interested in doe.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My resident does and yearlings appeared tonight at dusk and back to business as usual. They were all content and interested only in eating. I figure that they all have been bred and the big bucks have disappeared. Ho hum, the winter has set in. Time to make jerky, deer chili and do some winter fishing with a side order of an occasional waterfowl trip. It is time to slow down and enjoy many of my new friends on OSA. The crappie are in deep doo doo.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I drove in to check a game cam and corn pile yesterday at 4:15 and deer scattered from the corn like quail. Just a side note, game cams will take better pics when they've been turned on.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother was here for 7 days and we hunted them all, 3 different farms.....12 degrees the first morning hunt and 60's the last evening we hunted. All in all those were a tough 7 days, some deer were seen but it was sloooow, he had one chance at a shooter but was blocked by a cedar tree and couldn't get on him. He saw quite a few does and I saw a few does and small bucks....we moved stands, hunted from the ground, moved around but just couldn't make it happen. He had to eat his $280 non-resident tag, but we had a great time hanging out, catching up and knocking a few back after the hunts. I think we have started what will hopefully be a Thanksgiving week tradition for years to come.

Glad you got to get out with your brother, sounds like a good time even if you didn't get to pull the trigger. Hope you get to continue the tradition. I'd love to take my brother out hunting sometime, show him what it is like outdoors. Too bad he is a liberal, antigun, antihunting nature hater. Did you see anything good on the new ranch?

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you got to get out with your brother, sounds like a good time even if you didn't get to pull the trigger. Hope you get to continue the tradition. I'd love to take my brother out hunting sometime, show him what it is like outdoors. Too bad he is a liberal, antigun, antihunting nature hater. Did you see anything good on the new ranch?

Thanks Roosta! Didn't see any good deer (2 small bucks) but did find alot of great sign, ie...rubs, scrapes, trails, just have not been there enough to figure out the movement/patterns. No doubt that place is holding a really nice buck or two though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom