Pre Rut still? Or has it started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I saw one of my resident does walk across the front yard headed for the oats just at dusk. She seemed calm but looked over her shoulder and nothing followed. I feel sure she has been bred because 10 days a go she was being tailed by a nice 10 point. Daytime activity is non existent and these deer are not pressured at all.

DeerSlayer speaking of oats did you plant the oats plus from WI,i planted them and they were high dollar when they were young and tender the deer preferred wild winter wheat and never ate it and now it is big and tough so now they are on the neighbors wheat that is still young and tender.it is only 2 acres so if they had been so great like they advertised they should of never got big and tough,do'nt believe I will try them again the cost to much and theey don't seem any better then wheat

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I drove in to check a game cam and corn pile yesterday at 4:15 and deer scattered from the corn like quail. Just a side note, game cams will take better pics when they've been turned on.

or if the sd card has the lock on, why the heck did they put locks on the things anyway? I missed a couple weeks of good picks during prime chase time!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DeerSlayer speaking of oats did you plant the oats plus from WI,i planted them and they were high dollar when they were young and tender the deer preferred wild winter wheat and never ate it and now it is big and tough so now they are on the neighbors wheat that is still young and tender.it is only 2 acres so if they had been so great like they advertised they should of never got big and tough,do'nt believe I will try them again the cost to much and theey don't seem any better then wheat

That's been my experience with the oats, but every area is different. What doesn't work for me, does for somebody else.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I planted Buck Forage Oats, the deer have been hammering them, they have not had a chance to get big and tough because the deer keep them nipped off. I will plant them again, I just need to do a bigger plot. The deer are still hitting the winter wheat here, but several times this year I have watched the deer come off the winter wheat field to come into the Buck Forage oat plot. I know that Deer Slayer planted a bunch of Buck Forage Oats but he has some test plots going for Whitetail Institute as well, not sure which of his plots are getting the most use. I have a feeder on the edge of my oats plot and the deer just ignore the corn to eat the oats. They have stayed nice and green and are still trying to grow, I am anxious to see how the oats handle this really cold weather, I am guessing that they will die out with this prolonged deep freeze.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I planted oats plus by Whitetail Institute they cost a lot of money and I hav'nt seen deer using them much.there is always an outside chance the person I hired planted wheat and kept the oats for himself(it was somebody I didn't know I just left the oats and winter peas with them and hired them to plant them seem like real good people and I could see my winter peas were mixed in and they look like oats instead of wheat IDK, I don't think so but you never know,i will own a tractor by this spring so I don't have to depend on anyone else.going to plant alfalfa and milo this spring

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I planted oats plus by Whitetail Institute they cost a lot of money and I hav'nt seen deer using them much.there is always an outside chance the person I hired planted wheat and kept the oats for himself(it was somebody I didn't know I just left the oats and winter peas with them and hired them to plant them seem like real good people and I could see my winter peas were mixed in and they look like oats instead of wheat IDK, I don't think so but you never know,i will own a tractor by this spring so I don't have to depend on anyone else.going to plant alfalfa and milo this spring

Leave a small patch of it and see what the heads look like in the spring, if you're unable to determine now.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seen more rut activity this afternoon than I have all season. Had a mature buck locked down with a doe at 70 yards. Unfortunately they were not on my side of the fence. Also seen 3 other younger bucks chasing through out the evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom