Preparing for active shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have become more and more aware of violence around me, especially when it comes to active shooters and the like. Aside from your normal carry and maybe an extra mag or two in the car, is there anything you guys do extra in preparation for a worst case scenario such as an active shooter? I feel like throwing my AR or something of the like in the trunk may be excessive.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now before anybody's panties get in a wad, I do (or at least think I do) understand the entire idea of becoming the aggressor In a self defense situation and that Oklahoma views that as a big no no.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say for sure that anyone really said it, but the story goes that a pistol is only used to buy time so you can get to your rifle.
You might be surprised at how many rifles are stored in trunks.

colb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aside from carrying everywhere I go, I stocked a first aid kit (with basic trauma kit) in my truck. Never know when that will come in handy.

I also carry a small 320 lumen flashlight in my pocket. That's about it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have become more and more aware of violence around me, especially when it comes to active shooters and the like. Aside from your normal carry and maybe an extra mag or two in the car, is there anything you guys do extra in preparation for a worst case scenario such as an active shooter? I feel like throwing my AR or something of the like in the trunk may be excessive.

Two things. I stopped carrying compact guns and started carrying full size all the time (I did this several years ago). I've practiced until I can make head shots at 25 yards and torso shots out to 60 on a repeatable basis.

I also keep an IFAK in the car with tourniquet.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't say for sure that anyone really said it, but the story goes that a pistol is only used to buy time so you can get to your rifle.
You might be surprised at how many rifles are stored in trunks.

My thoughts exactly, and I don't see anything wrong with that mindset, however, from a legal standpoint you can't break off from a gunfight, go grab the AR from the car, and then come back ready to send the bad guy(s) to hell. Or can you? I mean, if it gets to where that's necessary, it's just a choice between breaking the law or letting this guy go on a rampage, I'll be more than happy to break the law.

I never leave the house without my trauma kit. I feel that if I am ready to kill someone to save my own life, I better be ready to save someone's (or my own) life. I got everything a person could need in it, aside from painkillers or an IV.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my take on the rifle. Is it better to have? Absolutely. It gives you options. Is it the best idea to deploy it? In most cases, no. You're not walking around with it on, so accessing it is going to take time. Time probably best spent unassing the area and calling in reinforcements. If you're caught where you need to engage the shooter, it's going to be on demand and right then. How far away is that rifle in the trunk likely to be? By the time you access it, is it likely that 1st responders will see you instead of the active shooter, placing you at greater risk from responders than the shooter? These are things to consider.

One caveat is those who frequent remote areas. A 1st responder may be 40 minutes away instead of 4. I'd definitely be adding a rifle to the kit under those circumstances, as the range to the shooter might be longer as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom