Preparing for active shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's face it step one of a Active shooter event is GET yourself and family members/near by co-workers out safety , If you can't get out -HIDE till the good guys show up, at no point do you go hunting for the bad guy if you are not a COP. One of the self defence tv shows when they did a Active shooter show had Mr CCW seraching the halls for the shooter --Big problem you come around a corner and see a coworker with a gun do you stop and ask him if he is the shooter or do you shoot him and say opps ,the same thing with a cop yells at you to drop the gun and you go what -he unloads his glock /12 ga on you .You only use your gun if run into the bad guy as you are trying to get out . Having a rifle in your car/truck is great if you end up in a bad place ,you can't drive out of -ie blocked in traffic and bad guys/zombies/et /obama voters are coming your way to do bad things to you ,so do grab the rifle and block the road with their bodies .

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thought alot about the rifle in the truck idea... I have a Tahoe, so there's no lockable storage for something like this. Considered putting a basic rifle in a lockable quick-access steel box mounted to the roof. As has been said many times, it's a rare chance you'll need a gun (much less a rifle), but when you do, you need it VERY badly.

Due to size restrictions, I've considered an SBR for this purpose, though I'm not sure if NFA rules evaluation would consider a heavy-duty locked truck-mounted cage/storage box would meet muster for an NFA item being sufficiently secure. An 8.5" or 10.5" .300AAC AR would be a very nice rifle for a situation like an active shooter or rolling up on a scenario in-progress, I think.

Sounds like a great use case for an ar pistol.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but a light weight bullet resistant body armor. I keep mine behind my seat, my truck as a pocket that it fits in, just in case.

I picked up a couple of used vest I keep in the bedroom. I really need to get them fixed up and fitted. I think the straps were pretty worn and stretched out on them. Sure, they're out of warranty date, but hell, they're better than nothing, fo' sho'.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, but the fact is, I'm no longer an officer nor have the authority to act as an officer (much less the physical ability) to confront a suspect in that kind of situation. I used to be paid by the PD and the FD for the cities I worked for to put my life on the line. I'm now retired and the legal ramifications you mentioned by themselves weigh heavily on my mind. I've been involved in one shooting and the during and after were not pleasant at all. I have no fantasies of rushing in to save the day and being on the news. My best course of action is to get out alive, get out of the way and don't create more problems.

I know, I'm not pointing the finger at you. I'm just saying it's a sad thing in our society that this is the way things have come down. It's the whole sheep/sheepdog/wolf thing. It makes me think of the person who responds to the call of, "FIRE!" but not to the call of, "RAPE!"

Sounds like a great use case for an ar pistol.

Good point. I just feckin' HATE them. I have a pistol buffer on my .300AAC right now and I cannot stand it. Can't wait for my Form 1.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point. I just feckin' HATE them. I have a pistol buffer on my .300AAC right now and I cannot stand it. Can't wait for my Form 1.

What about a Shockwave blade or Sig brace for that buffer tube? I'm pretty sure there are other "stabilizers" on the market as well.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_08_25_661479f48d3b97d49b5cfa238b723120.jpg

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_08_25_6216bea737ebf316b45046bc0b3e3ab8.jpg

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am by no means looking to become some sort of superhero, nor do I plan on running around with an SBR I just had to leave the scene to get and run past the cops to get back into the building.

Mark, no one has mentioned the body armor yet, but I honestly discount it immediately. I have worn it for quite some time, both as a Marine and as a civilian. Honestly, I don't feel it has much of a place unless you're wearing level 4 plates or better. I have a plate carrier and ESAPIs, but in many circumstances, it only works as a carrier for ammo and crap, and I feel your chances of getting hit with a poorly placed shot in the plate are mediocre at best. A large SAPI plate is only 10⅛ x 13¼ in, 130ish square inches isn't a lot of frontside protection on a 6 foot tall guy. There's a lot of tender areas still out in the open while heating your core up, adding weight, and certainly adding bulk. Even my high speed plate carrier can be a bit bulky, esp now since I'm not quite as beautiful or skinny as I once was, nor do I wear it every day anymore.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am by no means looking to become some sort of superhero, nor do I plan on running around with an SBR I just had to leave the scene to get and run past the cops to get back into the building.

I'm just getting back online with OKShooters. I have always enjoyed the discussions. I wanted to toss in my 2 cents on this.

According to an FBI study from 2000 to 2013 there were an average of around 12 active shooter events in the US each year. Compare that to the fact there have already been 22 people killed in the US by lightning this year.

When you put the risk in perspective the risk is VERY low. You almost have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do being present during an active shooter event.

Your best chance of survival is always to immediately and aggressively get out of the building/area. If it happens right in your lap you have no choice but to gun fight with the bad guy. We all can agree on that.

If it happens near you but not in your direct line of sight and you decide to close with and stop the shooter you need to think about a couple things. #1 others doing the same thing you are doing may immediately fire on you when they see you with your gun in your hand, they think you are the bad guy. #2 Officers responding to an active shooter event may also fire on you first and ask questions later.

I respect you wanting to save people. I understand and admire it. Having said that I think you owe your family to get out and save "your wife's husband" "your son or daughter's dad".

Of course if you are old, your kids are grown, and your bucket list is complete you may decide to vote with your life. If so, my hats of to you.

It is always beneficial to play the what if game so you have a plan but I would not loose any sleep worrying about active shooters. If you choose to have a handgun on you, a rifle in the car, a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, and a cell phone on your person at all times then you are just trying to be prepared. Being prepared is another form of life insurance.

Thank you for bringing up the topic.

50Shooter

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks,
I believe too many situations are compared to LEO, first responder type situations
Remember if your not a cop, don't act like one, if you are.....be careful, Theyre watching you
Training, fighting, situational areas are different for "regular" citizens than for LEO, some good some not so good...ie "regulars" don't use excessive force
I agree the "what if" thinking might save your life, keep active, keep shooting, keep moving....make them look for you....

Latest posts

Top Bottom