Prepper Deals...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my other post about the North East and all of their discomfort after the natural disaster, I thought I post up some "deals" I have found during my regular FEMA guideline prepping...

Water Storage:

Search Craigslist for "Plastic Totes" and you will find a guy in Vinita who is selling 275 gallon Plastic Totes in Metal cages that are "Food Grade" and have been steam washed and pressure tested. They sell for $75/ea and he will deliver to the Tulsa area when you buy two or more. I do believe more cleaning would be needed to bring them up to drinking water level, but with a filter and some water testing, I don't think it would be that hard to find out.

Gas Storage:

Atwoods has the best price I've seen on 5 gallon Blitz fuel can's for $12.99 each. Walmart is $19! Get some Stabil and mix it with your QT gas for $3.09/gallon and your are good to go for 6 months

Blankets:

Harbor Freight is a favorite of mine. Recently they have had coupons for "Movers Blankets" which are 70" x 60" I believe. I picked them up for $4.99/ea and they are heavy. I did have to let them air out because they were musty, but after a couple of days in the breeze good to go. Talk about cheap quilts. Not ideal, but would make a great ground covering for a bed roll.

Shelter:

Harbor freight always has tarps on sale with coupon. Some as cheap as 1.99 with a limit of 10! These are not high quality tarps and would wear out faster then others, but again they are large enough to cover half a car and cheap enough to buy a lot for needs. Use them for ground covering or use multiple for a tree tent. These tarps are the PVC type and blue/grey and very reflective.

At Atwoods, they have the best price on heavy duty canvas tarps that are water resistant. These come in a variety of sizes and are 10-20% cheaper then other locations. You can get one of the larger options, a Come-a-long and make a great tent between two large trees. Use those cheaper small tarps for ground covering and the blankets to keep warm and you are set with a make shift tent! These tarps are dark green/grey in color and very non reflective.

Fire:

Harbor Freight again offers a coupon from time to time for the Magnesium Fire starters for $1.99/ea limit 10. Another great find and they do work...

Knives:

WOOT.com has knives/ tents/ packs (kelty) all the time on their sight. I've purchased some Great options both assisted opening and regular lock blades. They have a wide variety and sell out quickly. Everything from Swiss Army knives, CKRT, SOG and others are all on the site from time to time. Just look everyday. I picked up several Kelty packs which have Lifetime warranties if they tear up. Mid temp sleeping bags 40-80* and Kelty tents.

General Camping

In Downtown Tulsa there is a store called Just Camp which is a Coleman outlet store. They have a ton of stuff from camping/survival that is either over run, or mis print. Meaning I picked up a rain set that was mis printed with Bas Pro shops... Bass Pro sells this set for $180, I got it for less just missing an "S". I have found cases' of 6 hr glow sticks, as well as camo options. Worth checking out!

FOOD!!

Ok so you can do the freeze dried food route or you can do the canned food route. Aside from a few sales at Food Pyramid or Reasons on "Best Choice" Aldi is the price leader on food. You can buy it by the flat for easy transport and they have it all. It tastes good and it's ready to eat. They have the best price on canned chicken, roast beef, tuna, veggies, coffee, etc... If you don't shop at Aldi, you should.

Spices:

Sams is the best price on Volume spices from Tony's. All the majors are there and great prices. For smaller price options, visit Big Lots... They sell the home size for $1/ea. A little seasoning can make things taste better.

I hope this helps those who are wondering where to start!

Last edited:

CastleB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW Jesse!
Thanks for your insight. great information that most of us have seen different places at differnt time. But, you kinda wrapped up a quick hit list on one post.

Making note for this weekends shopping trip.

Captain Mike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Specops has a pretty good deal on packs and pouches, and they are made in the usa with a lifetime warranty. I ordered 2 sets with some extra closeout pouches, got free shipping and they arrived 2 days later. Pack and extra molle pouches are $89.95 vs regular price of $287 for just the pack. Only catch is 3 color desert packs and tan pouches are the only colors on sale...

http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactica...day-assault-pack-3-color-desert-camo-778.html

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great list, Jesse! The only caveat I would have is in regard to the mover's blankets; for a one-time or short-term use, they should be satisfactory, but in situations where wear would be a factor, they kinda suck. I have one down on the floor of my vehicle for my 50-90 lb. dogs to sit/lay on during car rides. After about three or four rides, the blanket was already springing holes and wearing through in spots, and after a dozen or so rides, I'm ready to toss the blanket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom