Prepper engineering: card #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying my hand at being creative. I like the conflict cards but in a disaster, hopefully, we are going to have to spend much more time creatively solving problems than battling aggressive neighbors or roving gangs. In a scenario where resources are limited but problems aren't, preps likely won't cover the long term basics for everything so you will be forced to look around you to figure out a solution. So for these threads, I'll try to present a problem and sometimes I'll post up a list of resources or just say use what is immediately around you such as in your garage or nearby and easily recoverable. The idea here is to be creative with a very finite amount of "stuff" you have around you and that the replies spark some "ah ha" moments in the rest of us so if we do find ourselves in one of these situations, we might think back to these threads as inspiration. So let's give it a try!

A disaster has struck a year ago, your preps have run dry and you are transistioning into a self-sustainance mode. You are growing your own food in a small garden plot but struggling with drought. There is a small stream that generally at least has standing water several hundred feet away but you are killing yourself bringing in water and are beginning to wonder if you are using more calories than you are getting from the garden. You need to find a way to get the water to the garden to water your plants but with limited fuel stocks, hauling it in a car/truck seems wasteful. There are several abandoned houses/cars in the immediate area that have no food but do contain typical house hold items and applicances. You have the tool set of an advanced DIYer including a stick welder/generator, a good compliment of hand tools with some advanced tools for wood and steel fabrication (miter saws, chop saws, etc). You have about 10 gallons of fuel but there is a possibility that some of the other vehicles have fuel on board but it seems slime that any fuel you do find will still be good.

Requirement: Design a solution using any items that you might find which will reliability transport water to the garden on demand without using all of your remaining fuel reserves which you might need for other things soon. Describe your plan in some detail so someone might commit it to memory and attempt to repeat it.

Part of this is to have fun and part is to expand knowledge. Since this is the first time out and we will be tweaking as we go along, feel free to ask questions in this one but mostly know that any answer that solves the above requirements is the right answer and all will be recognized.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chain gang the neighbors, and hang buckets from their shoulders.

Just kidding, but a running stream a couple hundred yards away shouldn't present a problem especially if there are several people in the commune.
People in third world country's do it on a daily basis.

(not trying to derail the thread)

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would seem not but there is no community, just you and your wife and young child. You have proven you can haul the water but the ammount of water required to get a garden big enough to supply your family is already causing you pain and you feel like an easier solution is to automate the processes which saves your energy for other things that despritely need done such as scoring your tomatoes for hook worms, and potatoes for potato beetles. But yes, a human train works.

So if I have it right, what Dennis is proposing is to get everyone with a bucket/pale to haul as much as they can carry up to the garden to get water. and make that a perminant solution, I like it.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More than likely I would move the garden if the terrain permitted a garden.
I would use the windows and doors from the houses around me that are not occupied to build a green house.
I could use the blinds or curtains in the houses to control how much sun my garden gets.. Keeping it cooler when needed to conserve the water.

Of course the idea of plumbing water to run to my garden is nice and could be done,,, but if I am in no shape to tote water to my garden then I probably need to be eliminated as I am becoming a burden.. or my garden is too large or the soil is draining too much.

I messed up somewhere if I am in this jam so like stated I am a burden and may need to be eliminated.
Only the strong and well planned will survive

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since a lot of houses in my area have solar panels, I would wire up a solar panel to a battery, then wire a car fuel pump up to that. Put the fuel pump pumping the water into a garden hose, pvc, whatever I could scrounge up, and put that flowing into an inflatable pool. Use the water from the blow up pool as needed, after the first week, only run the pump 4 hrs a day to conserve the pump and battery life.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I was thinking the same as Clock. I don't have the components (in my real life) on hand to build it though. :idea:

Assuming I couldn't build a ram pump, I'd have to move the garden or train an animal like my teenaged son. :-). My dog actually is trained to pull a cart with a harness but water is heavier than 4 year old kids.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice card 1krr. Glad to see some more stuff like this.

I would try to use the sheet metal off of the cars and to build a wind powered pump. I think I could use the water pump off of cars and wind to turn it.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If gravity was in my favor I would use it. Pipe it somehow and create a siphon. Best way in my mind.

The old Briggs and Stratton pump I have can move a lot of water on a gallon or two of gas through a 2" discharge hose if not to much of elevation change. Rig up some sort of tank near garden or tower and then gravity it in.

Human power... Find a small pd pump (found on power washers but if resourceful can be found in other places) and power buy a bicycle

If those are not options move the garden maybe or buck up and haul water but I would do it at night so is cooler. Don't they say watering in the dark is better due to less evaporation

Sent via message in a bottle

Latest posts

Top Bottom