Prepper engineering: card #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archimedes Screw. It hit me when you said conveyor/bucket system. I remember learning about them but got to play with one in San Antonio at a kids museum (Witte Museum). Simple design that could be powered by just about anything via sprocket.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking more about a rotary wheel that a human or animal could turn with a cable bringing up buckets of water since nobody seems able to walk down the 128' hill to get some and bring back. it would be a pretty good engineering job to build one though.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking more about a rotary wheel that a human or animal could turn with a cable bringing up buckets of water since nobody seems able to walk down the 128' hill to get some and bring back. it would be a pretty good engineering job to build one though.

Like a trolley or tram system. A car rear end could work and provide gear reduction

Also could use a pulley system and counter weight (bucket of rocks???) dump out fill with water weight one on top. Take two people though, one uphill dumping water and adding weight other dumping weight and adding water.

Sent via message in a bottle

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking along the lines of the ram pump, but taking a washing machine pump and driving it by a bicycle.

It wouldn't generate enough pressure depending on how high the home is. I've been using 130' above the pump level for my examples.

A 1HP, 10 GPM pump would be doing good to give you 6 GPM at about 30 PSI to the house.

A cistern and booster pump would have to be used

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a great number of drawings of water lift devices from google, check them out and I'll bet they spark some other original thoughts or configurations. I have three small water buckets from a wheel that probably contained twenty or more of them. They are rectangular in shape with a square bail at the top, about 3X4" around and about 6 inches deep. would be really easy to make the buckets. https://www.google.com/search?q=water+wheel+bucket+lift

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would probably start with acquiring some form of trailer, buckets and mule/horse/?. After achieving a basic system, then attempt to upgrade.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since a lot of houses in my area have solar panels, I would wire up a solar panel to a battery, then wire a car fuel pump up to that. Put the fuel pump pumping the water into a garden hose, pvc, whatever I could scrounge up, and put that flowing into an inflatable pool. Use the water from the blow up pool as needed, after the first week, only run the pump 4 hrs a day to conserve the pump and battery life.

Same thought

Latest posts

Top Bottom