Prepper engineering: card #4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hole E Crap, it's time. You are bugging out. S has H T proverbial F and you are in the suburbs of a city that you don't want to be in any more. You are a bit more developed than the two bag of Doritos prepper but like most of us, your preps are more for severe weather than bugging out. You have an average family SUV/half ton truck with a little more than half a tank of gas, an average pantry/refrig, and an average garage (basic hand tools, lawn care supplies, etc). You have 30 minutes to get grab your stuff and get 10 miles away from where you are along what "should" be a fairly lightly loaded surface road that you've planned in a sleepless night reading prepper forums on the internet. You've only driven it a couple of times.

What do you grab and how secure all you need? How long do you give yourself before leaving? What do you leave behind?

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grab: hand tools, any fuel, seeds, as much food as possible, fishing set, bed rolls/sleeping bags, tarps/tents, fire starter, water/water filter....water, food, shelter
Take all guns/sharp things and as much ammo as possible. (Priorities for me at least one shotgun, one rifle and a hand gun for everybody with me.) If it can't be taken hide it very very well.
Single envelope with all important papers...passports, birth certificates, shot records, deeds, a few family pictures, cash, etc. Flashlight, some kind of battery charger, radio (crank or solar)

Leave: TVs, computers, electronics, trees, lawn, power tools (except a chain saw if I can find room), clothes (except 1-2 changes and a cold weather set even if summer), furniture, cats, everything in the attic.

23 min to leave since I have to be 10 miles by 30 min.

With more time I would grab some reloading supplies, more clothes, bicycles if room, chickens and I'm sure a few other things.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is SHTF, gas cloud, riot, fire, ???????

Could be a guns and ammo and GTFO NOW,come back and see what can be saved. That 10 miles could take hours to travel.

Otherwise, as much seed and tools as I can load. It is 15 miles to my farm, food, water, and shelter there.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Water purification filter, weapons ammo MRE type food supply clothes that will have to last a long time and boots already worn to feet. Small hand held radio/scanner flex solar array for recharging it and flashlight. If I am at home, I will bug in as I am in a rural area already. I keep the above materials at hand when traveling.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking anything that requires leaving quickly and little chance of returning in a short timeframe. Kind of looking for bugout plans.

For me it would grab go bags, food/water supplies, enough weapons for defense, fuel, clothes, and secondary items (tarps, fasteners, ratchet straps, hand tools, etc). Check the clock, grab a few other items and get on the road. Well planned, one could get out in 5-10 minutes.

Time saving tips would be to prestage much of the above in plastic totes. Load them empty to see how much you could carry. Practice doing in then driving your route in rush hour. Food/water is obviously most important. Defensive weapons can second as hunting implements, the fuel is to top off once you get to a safe staging area, clothes and secondary items (things to create shelter and perform basic construction tasks with) are only sliiiiiightly less important. Also depending on your family size as a family of four in a midsized SUV or typical truck will get full fast. Roof racks are good but with a half hour to make 10 miles in uncertain conditions, chance are you won't have time to load that much stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom