Prepper engineering: card #5 - GHB Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unicorn.. got it. Or maybe not.

EDIT: I added a note to the original post to offer up a little flexibility so we don't get too stuck on rainbows. ;)

Yeah. That kit looks pretty neat...I'd like to see some reliability testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For $160, seems like a hell of a good price considering some rails go for quite a bit more. I think when they become available again, I'll pick one up. They say they have a lifetime warranty. I think they'll go boom just fine but the holding zero is going to be a function of how well the barrel fits the receiver.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't imagine them seeing much stress other than the set screws. The threads and ears (for lack of a better term) where the handguard connects to their barrel nut should see those loads I would think? The technical term for this process escapes me but the lead shot just deforms into the threads on the receiver and gives the set screws a solid surface to push against. Thought about it more last night; I really do want one of these.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
14.5 barrel

And yea you got me. It's 7.5 with scope, lil over 6 without. Don't know why I typed that. I was trying to say it would be hard to get to the weight limit let alone a folder. Guess I was grunting one out and had a brain fart. Maybe I shouldn't post while on the pot, hard to do 2 things at once.

It could get a lot lighter with MAG upper and lower.
there is such a thing as "TOO MUCH INFORMATION"....jus sayin...

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Infantryman tough and will fit in that small bag? You don't need an AR. You need an Obrez.

My most recent AR is built using blemished Anderson lower and upper receivers (saved a lot of money that way and you can't really tell they're blemished unless you really know where to look). Magpul CTR buttstock, MOE mid length fore end, Hogue pistol grip. Spikes Tactical CHF 16" barrel (lighter than M4 profile but heavier than a pencil barrel), A2 flash hider, YHM gas block with flip-up front sight tower, a Magpul MBUS rear sight and an ALG HTS set. I used an AIM Surplus 9310 BCG and a BCM Gunfighter ambidextrous charging handle and I also hung a Magpul AFG onto the fore end using a Magpul polymer rail and I went with a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard. That might get repositioned or removed, I'm not sure yet. I'm still missing an optical sight, but as it sits, the rifle weighs 6.5 pounds (measured by hanging it on a fish scale by the front sling swivel, so not super precise, but close enough). The upper from forward assist (sticks out past the back of the upper just a hair) to the end of the flash hider is just shy of 25 inches.

I have no interest in building an SBR but if I were going to build one I'd probably do everything else the same and just build it with a shorter barrel. Keep in mind a 14.5" barrel is only going to save you a couple of inches over a 16" barrel, so you're still not going to fit it into your tiny bag, which means you're looking at 11" barrels or shorter.

Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new gun that will fit inside a $30 hydration pouch, I think it would be better to spend a more on getting a better bag and use a rifle you already have (assuming you DO already have a rifle). I've been drooling over packs from Eberlestock for a while now. They have a few that are specifically designed for holding a fully assembled AR-15 and others that are designed to carry a traditional rifle or shotgun in a way that is easy to access but out of the way. And if you don't want to use the scabbard, a bigger pack still gives you more options.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think, instead of trying to force a rifle into this very narrow and specialty category, for a short term "get home situation" I would be better served with a reliable handgun, a couple of MRE's (or home built MREs), some shelter, water tablets, and a comfortable pair of shoes. All of which would be much cheaper to purchase and justify leaving packed in a vehicle/office.

I'm not going to running and gunning across Oklahoma, I'm going to be slinking, moving at night, and avoiding.

(but that suitcase deal is pretty intriguing and this thread has provoked some thought as my new job has me on the road nearly everyday, 2-4 hours drive from home)

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The inspiration for the hydration pouch idea came from this thread. https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?213335-TNW-ASR-a-nice-GBH-option

I was thinking that was a really cool concept and wondering how close one could get with an AR pattern rifle. The expense/value part is just me. It's not an affordability issue as much as just a search for the best bang for the buck. We've already come up with some really cool products/builds. I've got a couple complete lowers and stripped uppers laying around that have been looking for an excuse to be assembled so I intend to build something based on this thread. But more importantly, my intent (as with all these prepper engineering threads) is to share info from and within our community. So let's build a rifle!

Latest posts

Top Bottom