Preppers weapon of choice ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking--some kind of edged weapon, like an ax or knife, something that has multiple uses and doesn't require modern manufacturing to feed...

Try opening that can of beans with a rifle...

Oh it can be done, but it is very messy and hard to find the beans after you do. :D

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:fart: it's a lot more fun and safer to open beans with a rifle. May I suggest: Ruger 77 MkII, 7mmRemMag, 140gr Barnes X-Bullet, 69.5 gr IMR-4831. Be at least 100yrds from the can when opening.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
What I've always wondered about preppers, is how they plan to use a gun that they don't have with them, and where they get the crystal ball that tells them when it's ok to only have a scoped bolt action, only have a .22, only have a shotgun, etc? Do you realize that if shtf, everyone who lasts more than a week will be carrying a longarm? So a pistol won't amount to a hoot, and every shot fired is likely to draw in your killer? If shtf, the lifestock and grain will be looted/eaten by dogs, etc, within 2 weeks, the game will be gone in another few weeks. Nobody will dare be out in daylight, hunting, because there will be millons of people who will shoot yu on sight, to get rid of you as competition/threat, or to take your stuff. You also won't dare not always be carrying about 40 lbs of other survival gear. So carrying more than one rifle and maybe a compact, lw pistol, and a bit of ammo is all that's feasible.

If you find the ammo, probably lying beside a dead man, why would the gun for that caliber not be there also, hmm? Why do you think that you will survive losing your "main gun", and still be able to acquire another one? In reality, if you have more "gunfights" than a very few, close, quick ambushes, with the odds stacked your way quite heavily, you are doing too many things incorrectly, and you probably wont make it.

If you aren't really sneaky and ready to fight, somebody else will be eating your beans. cans may be opened by just rubbing the flat side of the can on a pc of flat concrete, or opened with a knife. Not having a can opener is a non-issue.

There's billions and billions of rds of .22lr in the US, and almost as many rds of 223 in the military armories. If you seal the ammo in GI ammo cans, it lasts just fine for 50 years or more. So why would you worry about running out? The game will be all gone in a month, if shtf. the dog packs and starving people will see to that. You wont dare practice, because every (non silenced) shot will attract the attention of enemies. No place in the lower 48 states is more than 24 hour's motorcycle ride (and maybe a day's walk, too) from urban areads. It's very easy to mount 5 jerry cans of gas on a bike, 5 gallons each. At 40 mpg, that means 1000 miles of range. During 1000 miles,of travel, they are going to find more gas, in tractors, farmer's combines, etc.

Last edited:

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to see you run a bike on the fuel you get out of a combine or tractor. That could be entertaining. I will bring the Benny Hill music.

There are a lot of gasoline powered tractors.... And construction equipment/railroad equipment, neary every city and county barn and many businesses/farms have they're own gas pumps...

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
E10 gasoline breaks down in 90 days or so.
The more volatile substances in regular gasoline may break down within six months.

Practical experience tells me that I have have a van that sat for over four years without being operated, it was parked at my employers for whom I drove an 18 wheeler for over 8 years.
I replaced the battery and it started right up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom