Preppers weapon of choice ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The double bbl shotgun was the full on choice during the Westward Expansion, because it had two of everything; if one component broke, they still had another. The musket was more popular than the rifle during the Colonial Period, as it was smooth bore and could fire bird shot. These were weapons of sheer survival and the desperate survivalists made practical choices. Not to be seen in Hollywood genre, though. In a worse case societal breakdown lasting generations, Mauser like bolt action rifles could supplant ARs and AKs. Even black powder reloads into smokeless brass could become prevalent, since BP can be readily produced at the local level with basic skills.

Edit: I read recently that the black powder used in the Civil War was superior to that produced today, how is that so?

Last edited:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a SHTF scene I would want to trap game for food. Then a club or knife could be used for killing them in order to save ammo. There would be less meat damage that way too. Wire snares are cruel but effective. I would look at a firearm as a defense weapon mainly.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In a SHTF scene I would want to trap game for food. Then a club or knife could be used for killing them in order to save ammo. There would be less meat damage that way too. Wire snares are cruel but effective. I would look at a firearm as a defense weapon mainly.

Don't underestimate either, the ability to run a trot line or use a cane pole.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take my 22mag semi auto if I only get 1...light enough, with sufficient power and accurate...the deciding factor is the amount of ammo you can carry...and its not as loud as the center fires....

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, If I had to pick and choose, I would choose a 12 ga double bbl shotgun for the same reason the Settlers did - I mean if all I could choose was just one weapon, and strictly only one, to survive with. And I'd prefer an over/under if that were allowed in the process...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M6 Scout .22 Hornet custom loaded with Hornady 52gr JHP with 13.5gr Lil Gun 2900 fps.

with 1/13 twist, hope to get loads up to 60gr with 14gr Lil Gun at close to 2,800+ fps. ft lb energy would be in .44 mag territory.

the real hoss would be HBBS .410 rifled slug which puts out .44 mag level energy. but needs a HBBS rifled barrel. M6 has a smooth bore with full choke or limited to rifled slugs that can get by the full choke. 1/4oz lead slug still delivers .357 mag level energy.

would like to open up full choke to take advantage of larger slugs. then energy levels would easily raise to .44 mag.

properly set up .410 slugs can be devastating. 870 12ga is just too big to bring along. vs 3.5lb for M6 Scout which breaks down into very packable dimensions.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC00121.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom