Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS GEN II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one.

For the price, it's really good. At 1x, the glass is clear and not a lot of distortion (most people wouldn't even notice any at all). I think the Vortex 1-4x has clearer glass, but this is half the cost.

The bullet drops on the reticle are very accurate. With good ammo and if you do your part, you will hit your target. The dot on the reticle is a little big for my liking, but that dot is meant to be more of a combat reticle than a sub MOA precision reticle.

The cons:
The illumination is not daylight bright. In the bright Oklahoma sun, you might as well keep the illumination off. This is also true with the more expensive Vortex though.

My biggest gripe is the really tight eye box at 6x. At 1x, the eye relief and eye box is outstanding. Better than most scopes even 2 or even 3 times the price. At 6x, you have a very narrow box or you get tunneling. That is my biggest gripe about this. If you're just a bench shooter, you won't care or mind. If you shoot a lot in awkward positions zoomed at 6x, it's not the fastest because you have to be very precise about your cheekweld and distance from the rear objective lens.

For the price, it's one of the best in it's class. It's good enough for me to have it on my $2k AR. I think the next version they're putting out in 2016 is going to be made by a Japanese manufacturer that is both front focal plane and has a better eye box at the max magnification.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats kind of the impression I have been hearing, aestus. It seems like one has to jump directly to the $1200 plus range to solve the eye box issue. I have heard the newer Japanese version will cost considerably more than the current version as well. I really wish I hadn't sold my Elcan Spectre at this point.

How have you found the build quality or ruggedness?
Also, what mount are you using?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say you have to spend $1200 to get a decent one... have you considered the Burris XTRII 1-5x24? They get real good reviews, and can be found for a little over $700 on Ebay. They are available with the ACOG-type ranging/BDC reticle if that's what you're looking for. A mil line reticle is available too. I have been very pleased with the glass quality and durability of my Burris 30mm scopes. I have a TAC30 that has survived through many Run 'n Guns and one exploding rifle!

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im pretty much set on a variable mag scope with a clear red dot, clean bdc and ranging reticle, and a convincing 1x.

Im considering several scopes, but i will probably end up with another Elcan. I just dont know if i will have one before Pawnee. The price of the PA scope has me intrigued, but im not expecting $2000 performance from it. I really like the acss reticule. Lots of information, but very clean.
The Burris bdc reticle is almost what im looking for. I dont like the 200 and 300 aiming dots, or the windage lead hash marks. Exit pupil is a little larger at 4.8 though.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, but the situation has changed. Well, several situations actually. The main one being a necessity to engage multiple targets out to 500+ yards without changing the dope on my red dot. Hold overs with a shorty barrel at that distance are more problematic than with a full length barrel. Btw, Mr. Glock, the new family addition will be here late next week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom